The impact of inspired learning
Learn how individualized interventions can make a tremendous impact in the classroom, in private practice, and in the home. In one of the few Association of Educational Therapists-approved training programs, you will learn to assess the different challenges students have so you can effectively collaborate with an educational team and understand the underlying theory and the latest research to implement practical strategies for learning. Teachers, tutors, resource specialists, and aspiring educational therapists will learn to empower and inspire their students. Material also supports you in setting up your own clinical practice.
Educational Therapy certificate program objectives:
- Understand challenges faced by students with ADHD, autism, Asperger’s Syndrome, nonverbal learning disorder, sensory integration disorder, fetal alcohol syndrome, oppositional defiant disorder, and other learning differences
- Comprehend the theories, issues, strategies, and materials related to the assessment and instruction of students with reading difficulties
- Apply strategies for helping students understand computation and problem-solving in mathematics
- Develop a business plan for managing your own clinical practice
- Use assessment tools and procedures frequently used in educational therapy settings
Cost: $6,300. Estimated program cost does not include additional costs for mentorship. | International Tuition Cost
Required Credits: Total Required: 10–11 courses/30 units. Take 7 required courses (21 units), 2–3 elective credit courses (4 units), and end with capstone course (5 units) followed by certificate review.
Duration: A full-time student can complete the certificate in about two years.
Please review the course descriptions to ensure that you have taken necessary prerequisites or meet the requirements through job experience or previous education.
Recommended Course Sequence
Flexible course sequence
Courses may be taken in any order provided the prerequisites are met and your final course is Educational Therapy Practicum.
To receive your certificate
The UCSC Extension Educational Therapy certificate program is approved by the Association of Educational Therapists. Alumni of the Educational Therapy program proceed through the AET membership process faster than those students who graduated from a non-AET approved school. UCSC Extension students may apply for scholarships to attend AET’s annual conference.
Visit the Association of Educational Therapy, to learn more about the organization's own certification requirements.
You can enroll in a certificate program any time during your studies.
Once you create your student account, you can enroll in a certificate program. Although you can enroll in a program at any time, the benefit of enrolling early is that it locks in your certificate requirements. This means that even if program requirements change, the requirements to complete your certificate will remain the same for you.
- You must enroll in the certificate program before enrolling in the Certificate Completion Review.
You have a total of five years to complete all necessary courses in a certificate program.
All the necessary units in a certificate must be completed within a five-year window. The clock begins on the first day of your first course in the certificate program. For example, if you started a course on Sept. 5, 2017, you would have to complete all of the required units in this certificate by Sept. 4, 2022.
- Enrolling in a certificate program does not trigger the beginning of the five-year window. It begins the first day of the first course that applies to a certificate program.
- The Certificate Completion Review process does not have to occur within the five-year timeframe.