Grading and Credits Policy

Basic Course Information

Here are the key identification markers on each course page:

  • The academic number, which is preceded by the letter X.
  • The program(s) that you can apply this course to.
  • The quarter-unit value of the course.

Course number classifications

1-99: Lower division
100-199: Upper division
200-299: Graduate division
300-399: Professional courses in Education
400-499: Professional courses in other departments
800 Series or non-numbered courses: Noncredit or Continuing Education Units issued. (Academic credit and letter grade not applicable.)

Quarter | Semester Equivalents

All UCSC Extension credit is offered in quarter-system units.

  • 1 quarter = 2/3 semester
  • 1-1/2 quarter = 1 semester
  • 2 quarters = 1-1/3 semesters
  • 3 quarters = 2 semesters
  • 4 quarters = 2-2/3 semesters
  • 5 quarters = 3-1/3 semesters

Continuing Education Units (CEUs)

Continuing education units, established by a national task force of educational associations, are intended for students who need to document hours of study for employers, relicensing agencies, or associations. One CEU is awarded for each 10 hours of contact participation. Because CEUs reflect contact time, grading may not be offered in some courses with a CEU option.


Certificates with Honors are granted to individuals who complete their certificate programs with all A- grades and above.


Instructors assign grades based on a student’s performance on activities outlined in the course syllabi. Grades are available online through the student portal, no later than one month after a course ends.

           Grade Value Range Point Value
  A 93 - 100 4.0
  A- 90 - 92 3.7
  B+ 88 - 89 3.3
  B 83 - 87 3.0
  B- 80 - 82 2.7
  C+ 78 - 79 2.3
  C 73 - 77 2.0
  C- 70 - 72 1.7
  D+ 68 - 69 1.3
  D 63 - 67 1.0
  D- 60 - 62 0.7
  F   0 - 59 0.0

Other Grades

  • Withdrawal
    Withdrawal initiated by the student.
  • Credit or Pass
    Equivalent to a grade of “C” or higher
  • No Credit or Not Pass
    Did not fulfill course requirements. Equivalent to a C- and below.
  • Incomplete
    Course incomplete upon approved incomplete request. Incomplete grade to be replaced by letter grade once submitted by the instructor.
  • T
    Approved transfer from another institution or an approved course substitution
  • NR
    Grade is still pending or has not been reported.

Grading Options

When students enroll, letter grading is the default. The Credit/No Credit option is available only to students in good academic standing. Requests for Credit/No Credit must be submitted by filling out the Alternative Grade Request Form before the last day of the course.

Certificate and Specialization Requirements

Please note that only letter grades of C or higher may be applied to a certificate or specialization. Students in most employer- and government-sponsored payment programs, such as workforce development and international students on F-1 visas, need to maintain a B average to attain a certificate.

Student Responsibility: Completing Program Requirements

It is the student's responsibility to meet the requirements for completion of a certificate or specialization. Both the course selection and successful completion of the requirements rest with the student.

Certificate/Specialization Issue Date

The issue date listed on the certificate of completion is the last day of the last course to be applied to the certificate program or specialization program. Please check the certificate program requirements and list of approved electives.

Incomplete Grades

An incomplete grade may be approved for students who are unable to complete a course within the prescribed time due to unforeseen extenuating circumstances beyond the student’s control. Please see our Incomplete Grades Policy for more information.

Grade Changes

Changes to a final, recorded course grade can only be made when there is evidence of a clerical or procedural error and never based on a re-examination or the completion of additional work.

Grade Grievance Process

  1. Contact the instructor
    For a grade grievance, students must first contact their instructor directly or through the Online Classroom within 30 days of their grade being posted.

  2. Submit a review request to the Academic Review Committee (ARC)
    If a satisfactory resolution is not reached with the instructor, submit your grievance to ARC by filling out an Exception to Policy Request Form. ARC will review your written grievance and discuss it with the instructor and the program directors.
    To make an official grievance request

    Please include the following documentation relating to your request:

    • Dates and times
    • Expectations of the course or program
    • Correspondence with the instructor
    • The resolution or remedy you hope to achieve with the grievance

  3. Appeal to the dean
    When a student is not satisfied with an ARC decision, the UCSC Extension Office of the Dean personally reviews the case and recommends a final written resolution, sending a copy to the student and all applicable parties. The dean records the final determination with the Office of the Registrar.

After all required information is received, you will receive a copy of the formal resolution via email within 5-10 business days.

For more information

For more information, including the formal grade appeals policy and process, email extensiongrades@ucsc.edu.