Assistive Technology for Learning Differences
Technology can help struggling students leverage their learning strengths and bypass weaknesses to improve performance, independence, and self-confidence. In this online course aimed at teachers, learning specialists, educational therapists, and parents, you will learn about a wide range of tools to support students with learning disabilities, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), executive functioning deficits, and issues with processing information and memory. Through lecture, video demonstrations, and hands-on activities, you will learn:
- How various tools address specific learning needs.
- How to match students with appropriate tools.
- Practical strategies to implement technology solutions and integrate with curricula.
- How technology can facilitate Universal Design for Learning (UDL) practices in the classroom.
- Laws that govern assistive technology (AT) in education.
- Local, national, and online resources for AT information, equipment, and services.
Students should have a basic understanding of the academic challenges faced by individuals who have learning disabilities, ADHD, and executive function issues. This can be satisfied in one of four ways:
- Completion of "Understanding Learning Differences" (EDTH.X309) or equivalent coursework.
- Professional experience addressing the needs of students with learning differences.
- Prior review of material on learning differences (provided by the instructor).
- Other requisites may be approved in advance by the instructor.
Hands-on experience with certain technologies is an essential part of this course. For these activities, students will need access to the following minimum tools:
- A computer with: A PC with Windows 7 or above, a Mac with Yosemite 10.10 or above, or Chromebook with latest Chrome OS.
- The Google Chrome browser.
- A personal Google account.
- The ability to download and install free and trial software. Specific titles to be provided in class.
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Mon, 01-06-2020||12:00 a.m.||11:59 p.m.||Online||ONLINE|
|Thu, 01-09-2020||5:30 p.m.||8:00 p.m.||Online||ONLINE|
|Thu, 03-12-2020||5:30 p.m.||8:00 p.m.||Online||ONLINE|
|Fri, 03-13-2020||12:00 a.m.||11:59 p.m.||Online||ONLINE|
Ask us any questions you may have about this course.