All campus visitors must be fully vaccinated (boosted). Masks are highly recommended. Instructors & staff are required to submit a daily symptom check. COVID updates.
This course helps professional educators, counselors, educational therapists, and parents understand learning differences. Current theories on neurological processing, attention and memory are presented. Through case studies, discussion, video and lecture, participants learn to identify the signs of autism, Asperger's Syndrome, nonverbal learning disorder, learning disability and attention deficit disorder, as they relate to learning tasks.
- To be successful in this class all students should have working knowledge of Google’s G Suite or Microsoft Office, and proper email etiquette.
- This is an introductory online course that requires students to be comfortable using a computer, accessing websites, and navigating the Canvas learning system.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Identify characteristics and symptoms of various learning differences with emphasis on Dyslexia, ADHD, Mathematics learning difficulties, and the Autism Spectrum.
- Learn about common Processing Disorders such as Visual and Auditory Perception among others.
- Describe the essential components of Special Education Law as it relates to Accommodations and Modifications in the classroom.
- Identify Evaluation and Assessment tools used for providing Resource services.
- Introduction to Learning Differences
- Processing Differences, ADHD and Executive Functioning
- Reading, Math, and Dyslexia
- Autism Spectrum and Social Cognition
- Learning Differences and Social Justice
Computer with internet connection (Firefox, Internet explorer, or Chrome) is required
Have a question about this course?
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
This course is related to the following programs:
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Tue, 06-21-2022||11:00 a.m.||1:00 p.m.||Hybrid Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Tue, 06-28-2022||12:01 a.m.||11:59 p.m.||Online Traditional||ONLINE|
|Tue, 07-05-2022||11:00 a.m.||1:00 p.m.||Hybrid Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Tue, 07-12-2022||12:01 a.m.||11:59 p.m.||Online Traditional||ONLINE|
|Tue, 07-19-2022||11:00 a.m.||1:00 p.m.||Hybrid Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Tue, 07-26-2022||12:01 a.m.||11:59 p.m.||Online Traditional||ONLINE|
|Tue, 08-02-2022||11:00 a.m.||1:00 p.m.||Hybrid Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Tue, 08-09-2022||12:01 a.m.||11:59 p.m.||Online Traditional||ONLINE|