All campus visitors must be fully vaccinated (boosted). Masks are highly recommended. Instructors & staff are required to submit a daily symptom check. COVID updates.
In this course educational specialists delve into the business realities of establishing a successful independent educational therapy or a learning specialist practice. Students focus on best practices for one-on-one instruction to young students and adult learners with learning differences. Learn how the role of the educational therapist/specialist includes working as an investigator/support person and strategically communicating with a client’s family, school, community, and culture. Additional course materials encourage students to dig deeper into the psychosocial aspect of learning differences and address topics of transference, countertransference, and termination.
This is an online course, and all assignments and lectures are hosted though Canvas. In addition to lectures, students master the content by:
- analyzing case studies;
- interviewing parents;
- developing marketing collateral such as business cards, flyers, and essential information forms; and
- writing by prompt for self-discovery.
- To be successful in this class all students should have working knowledge of Google’s G Suite or Microsoft Office, proper email etiquette, and essential understanding of Canvas.
- Basic Computer Skills
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Articulate the role of an educational therapist/specialist
- Assess the unique developmental needs of each client
- Manage a caseload of multiple clients
- Adhere to the ethical and professional standards of working with their clients
- Develop a roadmap and toolkit for every stage of student instruction from intake through termination
- Develop a personal outline/structure for their own clinical practice including details like marketing procedures, collaboration with other therapists, office procedures, record keeping, fee structure, time management, and work-life balance
- Distinguish between the work of an educational therapist and other service providers
- Establish appropriate partnerships/collaborations with other caregivers/service providers of each client
- AET Code of Ethics
- Developing Business Forms
- Allied Professionals, Parents and Clients
Have a question about this course?
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
This course is related to the following programs:
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Mon, 10-31-2022||12:01 a.m.||11:59 p.m.||Online Traditional||ONLINE|
|Sun, 12-11-2022||12:01 a.m.||11:59 p.m.||Online Traditional||ONLINE|