Masks are highly recommended.
See our latest COVID news.
Learn the language of data
The industry of business intelligence and analytics has undergone major shifts in fundamental technologies. The UCSC Extension certificate program in Data Science and Data Analytics offers training for data scientists, analysts, administrators and managers who want to apply analytics to business decision making.
Choose between two data emphases of study
Track 1: Data Science
A comprehensive introduction for students wishing to pursue or enhance their careers in the growing field of data science and analytics.
Track 2: Data Engineering
Designed for enterprise data professionals who are involved in designing, administering and using shared databases in a Big Data environment.
Data Science and Data Analytics certificate program objectives
- Apply principles of data science in solving problems centered around Big Data
- Obtain, manipulate, analyze, and visualize volumes of data that drive many fields, such as business and innovation, bioinformatics, weather forecasting, and healthcare
- Identify and use appropriate data models in solving real-world problems
Our Data Science and Data Analytics students
- Data analysts, data scientists, and data engineers who want to develop their Big Data and database management skills
- Entry-level professionals or career changers.
- Database management professionals who want Big Data or database management training
- Professionals interested in managing Big Data or database management projects and need to understand how to successfully communicate Big Data or database management concepts with data specialists—analysts, scientists, or engineers.
- People interested in making better data-driven decisions to grow their business and apply solutions in their personal lives.
Show off your skills with a digital badge
Estimated Cost: Track 1 starts at $5,750. | Track 2 starts at $5,230. (You pay only for courses you enroll in.) | International Tuition Cost
Program Requirements: 6 courses (16 quarter units). Take 2 required courses (6 quarter units) and 4 elective courses (minimum 10 quarter units). End with certificate of completion review.
Minimum Hours of Instruction: Minimum 160 hours of instruction.
Estimated Duration: A full-time student can complete the certificate in 9–12 months.
1. Required Course(s): Track 1 - Data Science
2. Electives: Track 1 - Data Science
3. Required Course(s): Track 2 - Data Engineering
4. Electives: Track 2 - Data Engineering
5. Completion Review:
Meet Our Instructors
Certificate Inquiry Form
Recommended Course Sequence
The sequence may vary based on student background and professional interest. Choose one of the two specialized tracks—Track 1: Data Science or Track 2: Data Engineering
Some Engineering and Technology courses may be listed in more than one program. However, only one course may be shared between two E&T certificate programs unless otherwise noted.
To receive your certificate
Upon completion of the course sequence, you may request your Certificate Completion Review.
Please review the course descriptions to ensure that you have taken necessary prerequisites or meet the requirements through job experience or previous education.
Certificate Program Chair
PARTHASARATHY PADMANABHAN, M.B.A., is a data architect at one of Silicon Valley’s leading technology companies. Padmanabhan has more than 25 years of experience in information technology and has worked in data modeling for more than 10 years. He teaches "Data Modeling for Relational Databases," and "Data Visualization & Data Analysis" and began serving as chair of the Data Science and Data Analytics Advisory Board in 2020.
Certificate Program Advisory Committee
PIYUSH BHARGAVA, MS
Senior Director in Data & Analytics Organization
Former Distinguished Engineer, Cisco
CHING-FONG "CF" SU, PhD, MS
Director of Engineering, Machine Learning, Quora
LISE GETOOR, PhD, MS
Professor, Computer Science and Engineering Department | Center Director, D3 Data Science Research Center
University of California, Santa Cruz
ASHISH GUPTA, MS, BTech
Senior Staff Engineer, LinkedIn
HIEN LUU, MS, BSEE
Senior Engineering Manager, DoorDash
Instructor, Data Science and Data Analysis Certificate Program
RAMA ORUGANTI, MCA
Principal Engineer in the Data & Analytics organization, Cisco
PARTHASARATHY PADMANABHAN, MBA
TitleIT Architect- Enterprise Data Warehouse, Cisco
Chair/Instructor, Data Science and Data Analysis Certificate Program
ARMEN PISCHDOTCHIAN, MBA, MA, BA
Academic Mentor, IBM Watson Solutions
RAQUEL PRADO, PhD
Professor, Statistics Department, University of California, Santa Cruz
Establish candidacy in a certificate or specialization
Once you create your student account, you can establish candidacy in a certificate or specialization program any time during your studies.
The benefits of enrolling early
- Lock in your certificate requirements.This means that even if program requirements change, the requirements to complete your certificate will remain the same for you
- Receive program updates
- Set your intention
- It’s free
To complete a program, you must enroll in the certificate program before enrolling in the Certificate Completion Review.
You have five years to complete all necessary courses in a certificate program or three years to finish up a specialization program.
All the necessary units in a certificate must be completed within this window.* The clock begins on the first day of your first course in the certificate program. For example, if you started a course on Sept. 5, 2017, you would have to complete all of the required units in this certificate by Sept. 4, 2022.
Enrolling in a certificate program does not trigger the beginning of the five-year window. It begins the first day of the first course that applies to a certificate program. The Certificate Completion Review process does not have to occur within the five-year timeframe.
For more information: How do I get my certificate or specialization?
* Students participating in a special program, such as workforce, international, Personal Financial Planning, or curriculum partner programs (Udacity, Microfacturing Institutes) may have a shorter completion requirement.
Please note that only letter grades of C or higher may be applied to a certificate, and in some programs, students may have more stringent requirements. Students in most employer- and government-sponsored payment programs, such as workforce development, as well as international students on F-1 visas, need to maintain a B average to meet their requirements. Personal Financial Planning students have additional grade requirements for individual courses to attain a certificate.
See Grading and Credits Policy for further information.