25% off all 2020 Summer Courses
Discount applies to courses starting before September 1. Not applicable toward Legal or Paralegal Studies courses.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
All summer & fall classes are offered remotely—either live-online with an instructor, entirely self-paced, or in a blended online format. Please check our coronavirus update page for our latest announcements.
Business Intelligence Solutions
In this comprehensive course aimed at business intelligence (BI) developers and analysts, students get to review BI tools in a hands-on environment. You will learn to convert relevant information into knowledge that supports better strategic decisions through the exploration of various business intelligence tools capable of integrating multiple data sources, processing data analysis, and building interactive dashboards. You will also work with databases that are often used with data management, reporting, and analytics capabilities.
Using the Microsoft BI stack as an example platform, you will learn how to create supercharged pivot tables with Power Pivot, a Microsoft Excel add-in application and a data model that makes Power Pivot perform amazingly fast allowing you to analyze the data in new and interesting ways.
We’ll also use Power Query to do some data munging—shaping, cleaning and transforming data using intuitive interfaces without having to use code. Additionally, we’ll build dashboards, charts, and maps using Power BI, Microsoft’s premiere analytics and reporting tool.
By the end of the course, you will have experience building BI solutions with multiple data sources using popular tools.
Note that while SQL Server experience is not required, the basic concepts of relational database design will not be covered in this course.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Describe the principles of business intelligence and apply these principles to real-world projects
- Discuss with business management the best BI tool to purchase which will shed light on your business challenges
- Explain how to build an enterprise level BI data flow
- Identify key performance indicators to measure success in your business
- Introduction to business intelligence concepts
- Survey of tools used in the industry
- Introduction to the Power Pivot Data Model Manager
- Importing data from different data sources, including SQL Server databases
- Using Power Query to clean and transform data
- Creating calculations and measures with DAX (Data Analysis Expressions)
- Making a dashboard using pivot tables and pivot charts
- Building reports and dashboards with Power BI Desktop
- Final project, where you will design an interactive dashboard for your personal portfolio
Course Availability Notification
Please use this form to be notified when this course is open for enrollment.
Ask us any questions you may have about this course.