Data engineering sets the foundation for discovery
Our specialization in Data Engineering develops your ability to construct complex databases while optimizing performance. You will understand Big Data concepts, sharpen your relational database management system (RDBMS) skills, gain SQL and NoSQL database expertise, and explore the field of IoT (internet of things).
Program Learning Outcomes
Students completing this program should be able to:
- Describe a business or other activity in terms suitable for defining a relational database for that activity.
- Compile the SQL code needed to create a database, as well as to insert, access, and update the information in the database.
- Identify different strategies used for improving database performance through database indexes, optimizer, explain plan, and database hints.
- Discuss the inner workings of Hadoop's computing framework, including MapReduce processing and Hadoop's file system (HDFS).
Data Engineering Specialization
Complete three courses and build your skills.
- Hands-On Data Engineering
- MySQL and Oracle Database for Developers and Designers
- Relational Database Design and SQL Programming
You can learn more in this field in the Data Science specialization or the more in-depth Data Science and Data Analysis certificate program.
Show off your skills with a digital badge
Estimated Cost: $2,610 (You pay only for courses you enroll in.)
Program Requirements: 3 courses (8 quarter units)
Minimum Hours of Instruction: 80
Estimated Duration: 6-9 months to complete
Special Programs: None
1. Required Course(s): You must successfully complete the three courses below.
2. Completion Review
Meet Our Instructors
Specialization Inquiry Form
PARTHASARATHY PADMANABHAN, M.B.A., data engineering lead, New Relic, Inc., is a data architect with more than 25 years of experience in information technology and has worked in data modeling for more than 10 years. Learn more.
Who should establish candidacy?
- People who are pursuing a certificate (and have enrolled in a course in the program).
- People who want to lock in the current requirements of a certificate or specialization.
4 Simple Steps to a Certificate or Specialization
- Complete a course in your selected program.
- Establish candidacy. Click on the Establish Candidacy button on your program page.
- Take all required courses for certificate completion.
- Once your grades are posted on your final course, enroll in the certificate review fee.
A Benefit of Establishing Candidacy
Program requirements may change. Once you commit to a program by establish your candidacy, you will not have to change your plans to meet new requirements. They are locked in for you. Timeline: 4 years to get it done (or 3 for a specialization) You must complete all the necessary units in a certificate within a four-year window. The clock begins on the first day of your first course in the certificate program. For example, if you started a course on Sept. 5, 2023, you would have to finish by Sept. 4, 2027.
Note: Establishing candidacy does not trigger the beginning of the four-year window. It begins the first day of the first course in your chosen certificate program. The Certificate Completion Review process does not have to occur within the four-year timeframe.
Exceptions to the four-year requirement
- If you Established candidacy prior to Jan. 1, 2024, you will have five years to complete a program.
- Students participating in a special program, such as workforce, international, or our curriculum partner programs, such as the Legal Studies courses (CLS by Barbri) and sales and business courses (Ziplines Education) have shorter completion requirements.