See our latest COVID updates.
Learn to manage, connect, and troubleshoot business systems*
The DevOps and Virtualization specialist manages, connects, and troubleshoots business technology like a pro. In this information technology systems program—the only systems-focused credential of its kind in Silicon Valley—you will study the specialized set of communication tech skills that prepare you to tackle diverse business needs. You will learn to be the person that makes office communication, through a myriad of platforms, networks and cloud-based apps, seem easy for coworkers and be the hero who minimizes downtime.
DevOps and Virtualization program objectives
- Discuss CPU, storage and network virtualization
- Design, code, and deploy a cloud-focused tool or application
- Describe service-oriented architecture and the cloud software development toolchain
- System Virtualization Fundamentals
Foundation skills to apply concepts of virtualization to meet critical IT goals such as cost reduction, productivity, scalability, and cloud computing.
- DevOps Technologies
An introduction to Agile software development practices and IT automation techniques to achieve rapid rates of high quality deployment.
*Note: This specialization was formerly "Information Technology Systems."
Estimated Cost: $3,000 (You pay only for courses you enroll in.)
Program Requirements: 4–5 courses (11 quarter units). Take 2 core courses (5.5 quarter units) and sufficient electives to earn a minimum of 5.5 quarter units. End with Specialization completion review.
Minimum Hours of Instruction: 110 hours of instruction
Estimated Duration: A full-time student can complete the certificate in 6–9 months.
1. Prerequisite(s): "Networking Fundamentals" or equivalent work experience.
2. Required Course(s):
3. Electives: Two Required
4. Completion Review:
Meet Our Instructors
Specialization Inquiry Form
It is strongly suggested that you have:
- Networking Fundamentals or equivalent work experience; and
- Basic programming experience using a high-level programming language like Java, Python, C#, or a scripting environment like Bash.
Establish candidacy in a certificate or specialization
Once you create your student account, you can establish candidacy in a certificate or specialization program any time during your studies.
The benefits of enrolling early
- Lock in your certificate requirements.This means that even if program requirements change, the requirements to complete your certificate will remain the same for you
- Receive program updates
- Set your intention
- It’s free
To complete a program, you must enroll in the certificate program before enrolling in the Certificate Completion Review.
You have five years to complete all necessary courses in a certificate program or three years to finish up a specialization program.
All the necessary units in a certificate must be completed within this window.* The clock begins on the first day of your first course in the certificate program. For example, if you started a course on Sept. 5, 2017, you would have to complete all of the required units in this certificate by Sept. 4, 2022.
Enrolling in a certificate program does not trigger the beginning of the five-year window. It begins the first day of the first course that applies to a certificate program. The Certificate Completion Review process does not have to occur within the five-year timeframe.
For more information: How do I get my certificate or specialization?
* Students participating in a special program, such as workforce, international, Personal Financial Planning, or curriculum partner programs (such as GreenFig or CLS by Barbri) may have a shorter completion requirement.