See our latest COVID updates.
The course covers virtualization at various levels. For computer systems, it includes hardware virtualization and support for Hypervisors. For network virtualization, it addresses virtual LANs, virtual SANs, WAN acceleration, network access control, server load balancing and firewall virtualization. In the area of storage virtualization, discussions cover basic concepts and deployment at the device block level, file system level, and more. Licensing issues arising from virtualization are also covered. You will learn the basic concepts of virtualization and how it is applied to CPUs and operating systems, networks, and storage systems.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Describe general virtualization concepts and their applications to various areas of computing
- Discuss the working principles of several commercial virtualization products in the area of storage, networking, and licensing
- Explain the principles of software and hardware hypervisors
- Explain how virtualization has been applied to networking and the storage fields
- Explain how virtualization affects other areas like licensing, backups, and disaster recovery
- Identify the advantages and disadvantages of virtualization at various levels and in different areas
- History of virtualization
- Software virtualization
- Hardware virtualization: Hypervisors and CPU support for hypervisors
- Network virtualization: Load balancing, WAN acceleration, Firewalls, Network access control
- Storage virtualization: File system level, Data block level
- Other topics of interest: Licensing and virtualization, Data de-duplication and backups, Disaster recovery
Skills Needed: A basic understanding of storage systems and networking concepts.
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Thu, 01-26-2023||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Thu, 02-02-2023||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Thu, 02-09-2023||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Thu, 02-16-2023||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Thu, 02-23-2023||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Thu, 03-02-2023||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Thu, 03-16-2023||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Thu, 03-23-2023||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Thu, 03-30-2023||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|