The practicum provides an opportunity to apply previously learned theory and methodology to the ESL classroom through supervised student teaching. In this course, students will meet with their university instructor and peers for 10 hours of seminar work. The student is required to create and deliver a short lesson to peers in the seminar. In addition, the candidate will observe an ESL classroom for 20 hours. It is in this class that the candidate will gain experience by consulting and observing the master teacher. The candidate will create and deliver two lessons (one 30 minute lesson and one 60 minute lesson) to the observed ESL class. The classroom teacher will observe and provide feedback for the 30 minute lesson and the university instructor will observe the 60 minute lesson for evaluation. Students will organize a cumulative portfolio of their certificate course work, sample student work, and other evidence of professional achievement in the TESOL Certificate Program. The university instructor will review the portfolio as part of the evaluation for the certificate.
Learning OutcomesAt the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Gain teaching insights through classroom observations
- Develop or enhance teaching skills, using current TESOL methodologies
- Build self confidence and independence as a professional ESL/EFL teacher
- Collaborate with fellow colleagues in problem solving and enhancing teaching techniques
- Gain experience planning lessons and teaching under the guidance of experienced instructors and peers
- Create the groundwork for continued professional growth as an ESL/EFL instructor
- Classroom Curriculum and Design
- Evaluations and Consultations
- To be successful in this class all students should have working knowledge of Google Workspace or Microsoft Office, proper email etiquette, and an essential understanding of Canvas.
Additional InformationPlease review section notes to view the full schedule.
Prerequisite Skill(s): Completion of or concurrent enrollment in all required TESOL courses.
Have a question about this course?
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
This course is related to the following programs:
Estimated Cost: $845
Course Availability Notification
Please use this form to be notified when this course is open for enrollment.