Building Closed Memorial Day Weekend
The Silicon Valley Campus is closed Saturday, May 27 through Monday, May 29, 2023, in honor of Memorial Day. We will reopen for classes on Tuesday.
What is culture, and how does it affect the way we teach and learn? This course explores various definitions of culture, the impact of culture on everyday life, and the impacts on teaching and learning specifically. You will assume an anthropological view of culture as a phenomenon of learned practices, products and perspectives in a community, rather than isolating perceived cultural groups and analyzing each individually. You will analyze how culture is depicted in fiction and write a social, cultural, and historical analysis of a cultural group in California. By understanding culture and cultural diversity in this way, future and current teachers will expand their ideas of how language, culture, and teaching and learning matter in the classroom and beyond.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Gain an understanding of culture
- Explore the relationship between language, culture, and teaching and learning
- Consider real-world examples of how and why complex understanding of culture matter for the classroom
- Apply learned principles to explore a community group of your choice
- Human Development and Culture
- Language, Thought, and Culture
- Culturally Relevant Pedagogy
- Culture in the Classroom
Working knowledge of:
- Google Workspace or Microsoft Office to submit assignments
- Canvas navigation links, modules, and using the inbox to communicate with the instructor
Additional InformationPlease review section notes to view the full schedule.
Must be able to access Canvas for online submissions and videos.
Will meet live online 12 times over 7 weeks.
Have a question about this course?
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
This course is related to the following programs:
Estimated Cost: $780
Course Availability Notification
Please use this form to be notified when this course is open for enrollment.
Speak to a student services representative.
Call (408) 861-3860