Building Closed Memorial Day Weekend
The Silicon Valley Campus is closed Saturday, May 27 through Monday, May 29, 2023, in honor of Memorial Day. We will reopen for classes on Tuesday.
Knowledge of language structure and use, with emphasis on language universals and varieties, is fundamental to developing teaching expertise in TESOL and bilingual education. In this seminar, participants review theories and research in linguistics and sociolinguistics related to teaching. Readings, lectures and activities focus on sound systems (phonology), word formation (morphology), grammar (syntax), word meanings (semantics), language in context, written and oral discourse, and language variation. The structure of selected languages and transcription of sounds will also be discussed.
Learning OutcomesAt the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Distinguish between phonology, morphology, syntax, and semantics
- Analyze spoken language, text and discourse
- Develop lesson plans that help ESL students achieve communicative language competence
- Discuss language change and variation
- An Introduction to Linguistics and Language Studies
- Analyzing the Spoken Language; Phonology
- Words and Their Meanings: Morphology and Semantics
- Analyzing Text and Discourse; Language Change
- To be successful in this class all students should have working knowledge of Google Workspace or Microsoft Office, proper email etiquette, and an essential understanding of Canvas.
Additional InformationPlease review section notes to view the full schedule.
Have a question about this course?
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
This course is related to the following programs:
Estimated Cost: TBD
Course Availability Notification
Please use this form to be notified when this course is open for enrollment.
Speak to a student services representative.
Call (408) 861-3860