All campus visitors must be fully vaccinated (boosted). Masks are highly recommended. Instructors & staff are required to submit a daily symptom check. COVID updates.
This course familiarizes prospective ESL teachers with those aspects of English grammar that are crucial for their students, who bring special grammatical challenges to the learning process. An ESL teacher can become truly effective only if he or she is able to identify, objectify and then clarify those challenging aspects of English grammar. The main objective of the course is to explore these points.
- To be successful in this class all students should have working knowledge of Google’s G Suite or Microsoft Office, proper email etiquette, and essential understanding of Canvas.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Describe the conventional system of punctuation used for written American English and the rationale behind it.
- Discuss the major word-formation patterns of English.
- Explain distinctive patterns of discourse associated with spoken/written English texts designed for specific audiences.
- Identify the basic sentence patterns of English, as well as the expansion, modification, and coordination patterns built upon them
- Explain the rationale for lessons that focus on integrated skill areas and different proficiency levels
- Develop an effective lesson plan, and design and adapt materials necessary to implement your teaching agenda
- Grammar Basics
- 12 English tenses
- Acquiring vs. learning language
- Developmental sequences
- Lesson Planning
Have a question about this course?
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
This course is related to the following programs:
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Tue, 05-31-2022||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Tue, 06-07-2022||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Tue, 06-14-2022||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Tue, 06-21-2022||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Tue, 06-28-2022||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|