This course is designed to develop the essential communication skills required for success in the world of business. Learn key communication and leadership skills vital to success: listening, storytelling, public speaking, and meeting facilitation, while building confidence and your ability to positively influence others.
Through interactive activities, role-play, and problem-solving team assignments, students will develop the confidence and competence to communicate effectively in a business setting. You'll have the opportunity to deliver impromptu and prepared speeches, improve your listening skills, enhance your credibility, and learn new modes of business communication. In addition, you will learn how to facilitate meetings with ease, while being creative, flexible, and adaptable in real-time.
This course will include assignments that involve reading, researching, and creating content to share during class. By the end of the course, you will have a well-rounded communication skill set to help you succeed in your career.
- Practice speaking techniques to communicate effectively.
- Design, author and deliver powerful presentations of different types.
- Understand the role of influence, persuasion and power to inform relationships and how you can enhance your effectiveness in the workplace.
- Develop and implement the power of story in your speeches, training, coaching, and one-on-one work with others.
- Improve your listening skills in various settings, including one-on-one interactions, group environments, in-person and virtual meetings, and phone conversations.
- Apply results-oriented techniques for planning and implementing effective meetings.
- Interpersonal communication skills
- Persuasive communication techniques
- Meeting management
- Group communication
For best success, it's suggested you possess the following capabilities:
- Fluency with the English language (written and spoken).
- Internet access with ability to upload/download files, bandwidth to support continuous video throughout class.
- Ability to log on to Zoom, use Chat, Share Screen, and enter/exit breakout rooms.
HRCI®---PHR®, SPHR® and GPHR® general recertification credit: 19.25 hours.
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Tue, 01-09-2024||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Flexible||SANTA CLARA / REMOTE|
|Tue, 01-16-2024||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Flexible||SANTA CLARA / REMOTE|
|Tue, 01-23-2024||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Flexible||SANTA CLARA / REMOTE|
|Tue, 01-30-2024||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Flexible||SANTA CLARA / REMOTE|
|Tue, 02-06-2024||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Flexible||SANTA CLARA / REMOTE|
|Tue, 02-13-2024||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Flexible||SANTA CLARA / REMOTE|
|Tue, 02-20-2024||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Flexible||SANTA CLARA / REMOTE|
|Tue, 02-27-2024||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Flexible||SANTA CLARA / REMOTE|