Online Frequently Asked Question
I forgot my username/password; what do I do?
If you have forgotten your username, please email ExtensionServices@ucsc.edu or call (408) 861-3860 for assistance. Do not create duplicate accounts.
If you have forgotten your password, please click “Forgot Password?” on the Online Classroom login page to reset your password.
Where do I go to access my online course(s)?
Students will use the new Online Classroom for their courses.
Where can I get more information or training about Canvas?
- QuickStart Guide for Students
- Canvas Learning Management System (LMS) Website
- Canvas LMS Youtube Videos
How does a typical online class work?
- Inside the Online Classroom, you will find a user-friendly interface and standardized look across all course sites.
- Your Dashboard provides a view of all your available courses.
- Your instructor will decide whether you may complete modules at your own pace within the course’s timeframe.
- Instructors are not available 24/7.
- Instructors maintain regular contact throughout courses via announcements, discussions, collaborations, and/or email.
What is expected of students using the Online Classroom?
- Understand the Course Drops and Refunds policy.
- Know the basic Technical Requirements for accessing your course site and online course materials.
- Log in to your course site within the first few days of the course start date to confirm your participation.
- Review the course syllabus and other preliminary course materials immediately and thoroughly.
- Raise your questions and seek clarification about the syllabus within the first week of the course.
- Take an active role in each course, participating fully in the discussions, assignments and other activities.
- If an external event interferes with your participation, you are responsible for notifying the instructor proactively.
- Complete all coursework on time, as outlined in the course syllabus.
- Acceptance of late work is not a given and penalties for lateness are at the discretion of the instructor.
- Complete an online course evaluation at the end of each course to assess the instructor and the course.
- The same standards and rules apply online as they do in our traditional classrooms.
- Your academic conduct must adhere to the highest standards of integrity.
- Your personal conduct must embody respect for the diversity of our institution.
- UCSC Extension is a California state agency. By studying here, you are required to adhere to California state laws and regulations.