New Fall Hours • COVID-19 Update
The Silicon Valley Campus is open 4–9:30 p.m. on Monday–Friday and 8 a.m.–5 p.m. on Saturday.
Online Frequently Asked Question
How do I access my online course?
You will use the Canvas platform to access the digital materials offered for your current courses.
When do I get access to my course on Canvas?
You will be given access in Canvas to your class materials 24 hours before the start date.
- If you enroll on the first day of the course it may take about an hour for you to access materials.
- If you haven't received the Zoom link to the course on the first day of the course, please contact Student Services before 5 p.m.
Logging into Canvas
Your User ID will be the same as your web login for your UCSC Extension student account.
I forgot my User ID.
If you have forgotten your User ID, please contact us:
- (408) 861-3860
This email and phone are only available during business hours. If you contact us outside of business hours, we'll respond to you the next business day.
Please do not create duplicate accounts.
First-time user or forgot your password?
Please click Forgot Password? on the Canvas login page to reset your password.
Note: If you do not see a password reset email in your personal inbox, please check your spam folder.
How do I access my Live-Online or Flexible course lecture?
- Log in to Canvas
- Find your course on the Courses tab on the left.
- Locate the Zoom tab, and follow the link to your live lecture.
Where can I get more information or training about Canvas?
What can I expect in a typical online class?
- Inside the Online Classroom, you will find a user-friendly interface and standardized look across all course sites.
- Your dashboard provides a view of all your available courses.
- Your instructor will decide whether you may complete modules at your own pace within the course’s timeframe.
- Instructors maintain regular contact throughout courses via announcements, discussions, collaborations, and/or email.
Note: Instructors are not available 24/7.
What is expected of students using the Online Classroom?
Before the Course Begins
During the Course
- Review the course syllabus and other preliminary course materials immediately and thoroughly.
- Raise your questions and seek clarification about the syllabus within the first week of the course.
- Take an active role in each course, participating fully in the discussions, assignments, and other activities.
- If an external event interferes with your participation, you are responsible for notifying the instructor proactively.
- Complete all coursework on time, as outlined in the course syllabus.
- Acceptance of late work is not a given and penalties for lateness are at the discretion of the instructor.
- The same standards and rules apply online as they do in our traditional classrooms.
- Your academic conduct must adhere to the highest standards of integrity.
- Your personal conduct must embody respect for the diversity of our institution.
- UCSC Silicon Valley Extension is a California state agency. By studying here, you are required to adhere to California state laws and regulations.
After the Course
- Complete an online course evaluation at the end of each course to assess the instructor and the course.