International Frequently Asked Question

What if my program does not offer enough units to be full time this quarter?

In some quarters, there may not be enough classes offered within a student's program to reach the full time requirement of 12 units and maintain F-1 status. In these cases, we recommend F-1 students pursue one of the following options:

  • Enroll in courses from other certificate programs. Units from these classes will count towards your 12 unit quarterly requirement, but may not count towards your certificate.
  • Enroll in a 3 unit internship. Click here for additional information regarding our Internship for Credit Program.
  • Enroll in courses at another institution. Students should consult with the International Student Advisor before enrolling. Click here for guidelines regarding enrollment at another school, other than UCSC Main Campus.
  • Take courses at UCSC Main Campus through UCSC Extension’s Open Campus Concurrent Enrollment ProgramStudents should consult the International Student Advisor if they plan to enroll in this program. Please keep in mind our main campus is 40 miles from Silicon Valley.