Spring Courses Open for Enrollment15% discount on select winter & spring courses for all subscribers.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
Our courses are taught remotely through spring 2021. Please check our coronavirus update page for our latest announcements.
Launch your paralegal career
The job outlook for paralegals and legal assistants is bright, adding jobs at a brisk 10 percent annually and it's especially good if you've you've got strong computer and database management skills. Whether you're interested in supporting a law office, diving into banking or corporate programs, or hanging your own shingle, the diverse paralegal profession needs skilled paralegals.
We offer two levels of paralegal training to help you gain a comprehensive understanding of the American judicial system—the Paralegal Certificate Course© and the Advanced Paralegal Certificate Course. While not UCSC-designated certificate programs, they are taught through the Center for Legal Studies (CLS), meet state of California paralegal certification requirements, and culminate in a certificate of completion.
The Center for Legal Studies—Our Curriculum Partner
These legal studies courses are provided in partnership with The Center for Legal Studies, a legal education company focused on providing affordable, up-to-date, and effective legal education.
Learn About the Paralegal Certificate Course®️
In this in-depth informational webinar by The Center for Legal Studies you'll hear how to prepare for the comprehensive Paralegal Certificate Course®️. You'll get a sense of trends in the industry, the opportunities for graduates, and the support that is available to you during the program.
The Paralegal Certificate Course©
In two seven-week intensives—Paralegal I and Paralegal II—CLS instructors will teach you practical skills to assist trial attorneys, interview witnesses, investigate complex fact patterns, research the law, and assist in preparing cases for courtroom litigation.
Paralegal I Objectives
- The origins and history of the American legal system
- The meaning and application of important legal terminology
- Attorney and paralegal ethics
- Techniques of jury selection and the jury selection process
- How to prepare legal documents including demand letters, pleadings, discovery documents, motions and memos
- Significant elements of the substantive law of torts, contracts
- The important rules of civil procedure and evidence
- How to conduct a legal interview
- How to conduct legal investigation
- How to conduct legal analysis and perform legal problem solving
Paralegal II Objectives
- The importance of precedence
- What legal authority is, and which authority is the most important
- How to conduct legal research and learn how to use the 4 most effective legal research tools found in virtually every law library
- How to Shepardize your authority
- How to properly cite your authority
- How to conduct computerized legal research used extensively in law offices throughout the country.
- Proper and effective legal writing style
- The basic documents for several important substantive areas of law
- Advocacy techniques for usage in formal or informal settings, and
- How to begin your job search and perhaps begin a freelance paralegal business after your education
A Look at the Advanced Paralegal Certificate Course
In this informational webinar, you'll hear the ins and outs of The Center for Legal Studies Advanced Paralegal Certificate Course®️. You will learn how to focus your studies on topics of your choice and how you can prepare for a successful career.
The CLS Advanced Paralegal Certificate Course
Focus on topics that interest you. You are required to complete six seven-week sessions of Advanced Paralegal course topics to receive a certificate of completion. Please choose from the sessions listed below.
- Advanced Legal Research
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (Mediation)
- Bankruptcy Law
- Business Law
- Constitutional Law
- Criminal Law
- Criminal Procedure
- Education Law
- Estate Planning
- Family Law
- Immigration Law
- Intellectual Property
- Real Property Law
- Victim Advocacy
- Water Law
Cost: Core: $1,595 • Advanced: $2,400
Required Credits: Core Course: 9 CEUs; Advanced Course: 27 CEUs
Duration: Paralegal Core: Two 7-week intensive sessions
Series Inquiry Form
Anyone can take the core Paralegal Certificate Course and work as such in most states except California where they need additional training taught in the Advanced Paralegal Certificate Course. The APCC is designed to meet the requirements of California Business and Professions Code §6450.
Please review course descriptions. Without any prior degrees or legal experience, you will need to take both courses and receive a certificate of completion to practice in California. Please visit The Center for Legal Studies for more information on California Business & Professions Code §6450.