Enroll Now for Spring Discount15% discount on select spring courses for all subscribers.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
Our courses are taught remotely through spring 2021. Please check our coronavirus update page for our latest announcements.
Paralegal Core Certificate Course© | LSTU.800
The nationally acclaimed core paralegal curriculum is a 14-week intensive program designed for beginning and advanced legal workers, such as legal secretaries, file clerks, and paralegals without formal paralegal training. While not a University of California, Santa Cruz-designated certificate program, the Paralegal Core Certificate Course© taught through the Center for Legal Studies (CLS) meets state of California paralegal certification requirements, and culminates in a certificate of completion. The instruction is practice-oriented and focuses on high-demand paralegal skills.
- Legal terminology, documentation, ethics, and the litigation process;
- The evidentiary predicate—an introduction to the rules of evidence and civil procedure;
- Identification of relevant authority;
- Legal research techniques for use in legal memoranda, motions, and briefs;
- Shepardizing® statutes, case law, the West Key Number System®, and the use of computerized legal research terminal; and
- Legal writing and appellate procedure, emphasizing preparation and critique of legal memoranda, the interoffice memorandum of law and an appellate brief.
The subject material for this course is provided in two seven-week modules: Paralegal I and Paralegal II. Your course fee includes both sessions. At the conclusion of Paralegal I, you will be asked to enroll in Paralegal II. Registration for Paralegal II is handled through CLS, not through UCSC Extension.
Enrollment and Course Materials
Students are required to enroll and purchase WESTLAW access for this course directly from The Center for Legal Studies. You can learn more about curriculum details, enroll and purchase required text books and Westlaw access at Paralegal Core Certificate Course©, or by contacting CLS at (800) 522-7737 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Refund Policy: Students enrolling in the Center for Legal Studies programs and courses are accountable to the Center for Legal Studies refund policy and the associated fees. Learn more by visiting the Center for Legal Studies Course Policies.
Course Availability Notification
Please use this form to be notified when this course is open for enrollment.