Frequently Asked Questions


When should I declare candidacy?

We encourage you to declare candidacy in a certificate program early in your studies. This ensures that curriculum changes subsequent to receipt of your application will not affect your course requirements. Candidates will be notified of updates or special opportunities related to their program. Certificate applications can be submitted online at

Where can I find the prerequisite requirement for the Certificate Program?

Knowledge familiarity and prerequisite details can be found in course descriptions, as well as in each Certificate Program description.

What happens if the refund deadline for a course has passed?

If the refund deadline for a course has passed, and Exception Request may be submitted using the online form found at The petition must be supported by special circumstances such as a personal or family illness, injury, or hospitalization. Proper documentation of the special circumstance is required. UCSC Extension reserves the right to approve or deny any such request.

Can I drop and transfer to another section of the same course?

Transferring to another section of the same course is considered a drop. The three business day deadline and same processing fee applies. Students who enroll in a course but do not attend must drop the course prior to the final class meeting to avoid having a negative impact on their official academic record. Instructors do not have the authority to drop a student who has not attended their course.

What is the drop policy?

Students may drop a course at any time before the final class meeting, or the end date of an online course, by completing the Drop Request form. To be eligible for a refund, your drop request must be received three business days before the start date of a course. A $40 processing fee will be withheld for all drop requests.

How soon will I receive my transcript once it has been submitted?

Please allow up to three weeks for standard processing. Rush transcript processing (two business days priority processing) may be obtained by adding the rush service fee to the request; however, no priority mail service is available. Please complete all information requested on the form. For assistance ordering transcripts or with your user name and password, call (408) 861-3700.

How do I request a transcript?

Details and fees regarding our transcript process can be found on our  transcript request page. Complete the form as indicated and send it to the address below. If you have any questions, please contact the Records Office for assistance.

Records Office
UCSC Silicon Valley Extension
Fax: (408) 342-0164
3175 Bowers Avenue
Santa Clara, CA 95054

Can I change my grade option after the course begins?

Yes; you have up until the final course day to request a change in grade status. However, courses paid by most employers, all government sponsored (WIOA, etc.) payment programs, and courses leading toward certification (such as Education courses) often require a letter grade. All courses fulfilling a UCSC Extension certificate (required and elective) must be taken for a letter grade.

How do I receive my grade?

UCSC Silicon Valley Extension does not send out grade reports to students at the completion of a course. You can view your grades online in your student account. If you require a printed grade report for reimbursement purposes, one can be created and provided on request. To request a printed grade report, please send an email with your current mailing address included to: or call (408) 450-4920. We cannot email or fax a grade. Please note: a grade is not official if the instructor verbally tells you or emails the grade.

What do I do if I forget my password or user name?

Your student number is your username. If you have forgotten your username or password, click Login on the website main menu and then click the login button for the account you need to reset. On the following screen, click the appropriate "forgot password" link and follow the prompts to reset your password. If you still cannot access your account, call  (408) 861-3700 Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm for assistance.