Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
Enjoy a fully remote summer of professional education at the Silicon Valley Campus and the re-emergence of in-person courses in September. Visit our COVID update page.
Regulation of in vitro Diagnostics in Europe and the US | MEDD.X408
This course offers a comprehensive overview of the current European and U.S. Regulatory and Quality Affairs for in vitro diagnostic (IVD) products. You will gain a perspective on the critical elements of the regulatory requirements for obtaining IVD marketing approval. This course will take an extensive look into specific in vitro diagnostics topics and learn about the new and emerging regulatory requirements surrounding them. Learn about the impending transition for IVDs from the current European Directives (IVDD) to new substantially different European Regulations (IVDR), which will bring a majority of currently self-declared IVDs to require Notified Body involvement. Skills needed: "Quality Systems for Medical Devices: FDA QSR and ISO 13485" or working knowledge/experience in Quality Systems is needed.
At the end of the course, students should be able to
- Discuss the current EU and US in vitro diagnostic device submission requirements
- Explain the EU list based and risk-based method for classification of devices in the US and new EU IVDR
- Understand how to create strategies to gain access to the current EU market
- Define actions that can be taken at this time to prepare and facilitate transitions in conformity with the forthcoming European Regulations (IVDR)
- Understand how to create strategies to gain access to the US markets
- Discuss the critical elements and core principles for IVD device development
- FDA’s jurisdiction in the design, testing, marketing and post-marketing of medical devices; risk assessment
- Explain the regulatory requirements for in vitro diagnostics manufactured in European healthcare institutions
- Explain the regulatory requirements for US laboratory developed tests (LDTs) and device manufacturer requirements for clinical laboratories
- Describe the diagnostic tests and test systems requirements to be issued a CLIA certificate of waiver
- Discuss the effects of regulation of IVD diagnostics in US clinical laboratories and EU healthcare institutions and its effect on the IVD device manufacturing industry
Course Availability Notification
Please use this form to be notified when this course is open for enrollment.