This course offers a comprehensive overview of the current European and U.S. Regulatory and Quality Affairs for in vitro diagnostic (IVD) products. You will gain a perspective on the critical elements of the regulatory requirements for obtaining IVD marketing approval. This course will take an extensive look into specific in vitro diagnostics topics and learn about the new and emerging regulatory requirements surrounding them. Learn about the impending transition for IVDs from the current European Directives (IVDD) to new substantially different European Regulations (IVDR), which will bring a majority of currently self-declared IVDs to require Notified Body involvement. Skills needed: "Quality Systems for Medical Devices: FDA QSR and ISO 13485" or working knowledge/experience in Quality Systems is needed.
Learning OutcomesAt the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Discuss the current EU and US in vitro diagnostic device submission requirements
- Explain the EU list based and risk-based method for classification of devices in the US and new EU IVDR
- Understand how to create strategies to gain access to the current EU market
- Define actions that can be taken at this time to prepare and facilitate transitions in conformity with the forthcoming European Regulations (IVDR)
- Understand how to create strategies to gain access to the US markets
- Discuss the critical elements and core principles for IVD device development
- FDA’s jurisdiction in the design, testing, marketing and post-marketing of medical devices; risk assessment
- Explain the regulatory requirements for in vitro diagnostics manufactured in European healthcare institutions
- Explain the regulatory requirements for US laboratory developed tests (LDTs) and device manufacturer requirements for clinical laboratories
- Describe the diagnostic tests and test systems requirements to be issued a CLIA certificate of waiver
- Discuss the effects of regulation of IVD diagnostics in US clinical laboratories and EU healthcare institutions and its effect on the IVD device manufacturing industry
- Intro to IVDs
- IVD Submissions
- IVD Product Development
- Special Categories of IVDs
- Current Topics in IVD Regulatory
- Current Events in IVD Regulation - US and EU
Working knowledge of:
- Google Workspace or Microsoft Office to submit assignments
- Canvas navigation links, modules, and using the inbox to communicate with the instructor
Additional InformationPlease review section notes to view the full schedule.
This course will provide students with an understanding of the core elements in the in vitro diagnostic device industry. Topics will include a review of the European and US FDA regulatory frameworks, device classification system, routes to market, pre-market submissions, and post-market surveillance and change requirements. The regulatory approach will address the current requirements, future impending changes and what actions can be taken now to facilitate transitions. Application of quality system requirements as pertinent to IVD devices will also be covered. The course will be interactive, with student participation required, and will consist of lectures and case studies/examples, with three exams and a brief paper with references on a relevant topic of the student’s choice (approved in advance by the instructor).
Next Section Starts In:
June 15, 2023, 6 p.m.
Have a question about this course?
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
This course is related to the following programs:
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Start / End Date||Quarter Units||Cost||Instructor|
|06-15-2023 to 07-27-2023||2.5||$815||Schedule||Enroll|
Final Date To Enroll: 06-15-2023
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Thu, 06-15-2023||6:00 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Thu, 06-22-2023||6:00 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Thu, 06-29-2023||6:00 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Thu, 07-06-2023||6:00 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Thu, 07-13-2023||6:00 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Thu, 07-20-2023||6:00 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Thu, 07-27-2023||6:00 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|