Building Closed Memorial Day Weekend
The Silicon Valley Campus is closed Saturday, May 27 through Monday, May 29, 2023, in honor of Memorial Day. We will reopen for classes on Tuesday.
This course outlines the laws and agencies that regulate employment relationships in California and on a federal level. These fundamental labor laws must be understood to prevent or, if necessary, defend against employment claims.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Describe legal issues and laws that impact human resources and
- Explain strategies to minimize legal risk and
- Identify legal risks and strategies for more effective HR administration
- Wrongful termination
- Employment discrimination under state and federal law
- Sexual (and other) harassment
- Workplace privacy
- Overtime and other wage and hour regulations
- National Labor Relations Act
- Collective bargaining and labor unions
- Leaves of absence
- Noncompetition and trade secrets
- Substance use and abuse in the workplace
- Independent contractor vs. employee
- Workers' compensation
- Reductions in workforce
- Paid sick leave
SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP® 19.25 PDCs.
Have a question about this course?
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
This course is related to the following programs:
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Start / End Date||Quarter Units||Cost||Instructor|
|10-14-2023 to 10-28-2023||2.0||$750||Schedule||Enroll|
Final Date To Enroll: 10-14-2023
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Sat, 10-14-2023||9:00 a.m.||5:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Sat, 10-21-2023||9:00 a.m.||5:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Sat, 10-28-2023||9:00 a.m.||5:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|