Fall Hours • COVID-19 Update
The Silicon Valley Campus is open 4–9:30 p.m. on Monday–Friday and 8 a.m.–5 p.m. on Saturday.
Effective Negotiations: Principles, Strategies, and Techniques | BUSM.X416
Negotiation is an integral part of our daily life. Whether you are seeking project resources, deciding on a new hire’s salary, or inking a high-stakes deal for your company, your success depends on your skills as a negotiator.
In this foundational course, you will gain insight into the psyche of an effective negotiator and learn to steer clear of the most common pitfalls in deal-making. You'll practice each stage of a business negotiation, from initial planning to the final handshake and memorandum of agreement. We’ll discuss 10 negotiation principles, including how to use the four basic forces in every business negotiation: power, information, timing, and approach. The Negotiation Matrix, developed by Roy Lewicki and Alexander Hiam, is used to shift from ineffective negotiating strategies and tactics to more cooperative and mutually beneficial approaches. Through group exercises, you will learn how to execute proven tactics, refine your personal negotiating style, and improve your ability to make a deal successfully and ethically in any situation. Along the way, you will gain new appreciation for how negotiating skills can help you overcome a wide range of challenges—at work and beyond.
This course, which is designed for anyone who wants to enhance negotiation skills and work more productively with customers, colleagues, partners, and vendors. No prior training in negotiation is required.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to:
- Enjoy optimal results in both formal and informal negotiations.
- Apply strategic thinking to your negotiations.
- Build confidence in your bargaining power and abilities.
- Improve negotiations by managing your emotions and influencing others.
- Build positive, productive relationships with all parties at the table.
- Create value and “enlarge the pie” to produce win-win outcomes.
The Project Management Institute (PMI)®--PMP® 15 Professional Development Units.
- Save your seat and help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- ACCESSING CANVAS—Learn more about accessing your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Wed, 02-16-2022||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Wed, 02-23-2022||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Wed, 03-02-2022||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Wed, 03-09-2022||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Wed, 03-16-2022||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|