Building Closed Memorial Day Weekend
The Silicon Valley Campus is closed Saturday, May 27 through Monday, May 29, 2023, in honor of Memorial Day. We will reopen for classes on Tuesday.
Consumers have entered a multi-device environment where they engage in multiple connected experiences, such as smart watches, augmented reality (AR), virtual reality (VR), smart glasses, activity trackers, Internet of Things (IoT), smartphones, and home automation. As these experiences evolve, so does the process of designing mobile UX/UI and using artificial intelligence (AI).
This course teaches you how to create real apps and design UX/UI features for all these connected experiences. Using a hands-on approach to the design guidelines for devices and the principles, you will gain practical experience by learning and using rapid prototyping tools.
Throughout the course, you will also learn new UX models, design thinking and strategy that will help you cultivate new design processes and solve problems. In addition, this course covers flat design and parallax design. At the end of this course, you will have a rockstar design portfolio with a prototype that you can showcase to employers.
Learning OutcomesAt the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Design the UX for Apple Watch/Android Wear and the core design principles necessary for creating a successful experience.
- Understand the fundamental concepts of AI design.
- Design for VR/AR and be familiar with advances in new mobile technology and how these features can be integrated into their application.
- Design the UX for smart glasses, activity trackers, IoT, smartphones, home automation, and more.
- Create and implement working UX prototype apps.
- Understand new lean UX models, design thinking and strategy.
- Apple Watch and Android Wear human interface guidelines
- Augmented reality (AR) UX design
- Virtual reality (VR) UX/UI design (Oculus Rift and Samsung Gear VR)
- Artificial intelligence (AI)
- Designing smart things UX/UI
- Autonomous cars UX
- Drone mobile UX design
- Connected home and IoT UX/UI
- Chatbots UX/UI design (Facebook, Slack)
- Car dashboard UX/UI design (Apple, Google, Tesla)
- UX of voice interaction (Amazon Echo, Google Home, Siri)
- Smart tracking (Tile)
- Mobile prototyping tools
- How to create emotional design and micro interactions UX
- Parallax design
- Designing glasses for AR
- Creating multi-device experiences
Working knowledge of:
- Google Workspace or Microsoft Office to submit assignments
- Canvas navigation links, modules, and using the inbox to communicate with the instructor
- Drawing tools (e.g. Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Fireworks or Sketch.) - Required to complete class exercises.
Additional InformationPlease review section notes to view the full schedule.
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
Estimated Cost: TBD
Course Availability Notification
Please use this form to be notified when this course is open for enrollment.
Speak to a student services representative.
Call (408) 861-3860