The course covers virtualization at various levels. For computer systems, it includes hardware virtualization and support for Hypervisors. For network virtualization, it addresses virtual LANs, virtual SANs, WAN acceleration, network access control, server load balancing and firewall virtualization. In the area of storage virtualization, discussions cover basic concepts and deployment at the device block level, file system level, and more. Licensing issues arising from virtualization are also covered. You will learn the basic concepts of virtualization and how it is applied to CPUs and operating systems, networks, and storage systems.
- History of virtualization
- Software virtualization
- Hardware virtualization: Hypervisors and CPU support for hypervisors
- Network virtualization: Load balancing, WAN acceleration, Firewalls, Network access control
- Storage virtualization: File system level, Data block level
- Other topics of interest: Licensing and virtualization, Data de-duplication and backups, Disaster recovery
Skills Needed: A basic understanding of storage systems and networking concepts.