Premed Postbacc Teaching Team
UCSC Silicon Valley Extension seeks dynamic part-time instructors with a commitment to professional and continuing education and the ability to lead multiple premed postbaccalaureate courses each year in its new Premed Postbaccalaureate Program.
- University of California Science Courses
- Premed Career Advising
- Premed Workshops and Seminars
- Part-Time / Contract Position
- Hybrid: Currently courses are taught online via Zoom and in-person onsite in Santa Clara, California.
- Applications will be accepted until positions are filled.
- Continually improve the syllabus, curriculum, and course materials, based on programmatic and/or student feedback.
- Complete required administrative tasks in a timely manner (updating and submitting syllabi using approved syllabus template; signing quarterly contracts; communicating required texts and materials; communicating classroom technology and support needs).
- Prepare and deliver course materials.
- Design learning assessments (quizzes, exams, reflections).
- Design interactive and motivational classroom activities to fully engage participants and reinforce learning.
- Stay current on the subject.
- Use Canvas Learning Management System as the course support platform.
- Communicate teaching objectives and specific learning outcomes to students, and clearly outline/explain the grading policies for the course.
- Respond to student questions and learning needs within 48 hours.
- Employ culturally competent and inclusive teaching methodologies in the classroom (including teaching non-native speakers and/or students with academic letters of accommodations for learning disabilities).
- Evaluate student achievement of specific learning outcomes and assign grades via the Canvas Gradebook.
- Submit final student grades in a timely manner no later than two weeks after the course end date.
- Communicate with Program Manager and Program Representatives in a timely manner.
- Once a UCSC account is assigned, it is mandatory to use the UCSC email for all communications with staff and students.
- Monitor UCSC email address for time-sensitive emails sent by the Program Manager or Student Services.
- Complete mandatory training programs by deadlines established by UC Santa Cruz.
- Advanced degree at the time of application
- Teaching or tutoring experience for college-level students
- MD or DO from an American-accredited medical university
- 4 or more years of professional/academic experience
- Remote teaching experience
- Content development experience for remote learning
- Teaching/tutoring experience for college-level students
- Organizational skills with attention to detail
- Verbal/written communication and presentation skills
- Ability to convey conceptual and complex ideas and information
- Proficiency in or willingness to learn instructional and other technology such as learning management systems (Canvas, Angel, Blackboard, Moodle, EdX); Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel); Google Home and Office tools (docs, sheets, slides, etc.); online file sharing (Google Drive, Box, Dropbox); online tele/video conferencing tools (Zoom, Google Hangouts, Skype, Adobe Connect); online shared calendars (Google Calendar, Outlook)
TEACHING EXPERIENCE AND AVAILABILITY
Please indicate in the UCSC Extension Instructor Inquiry Form your experience and availability for:
- Classroom Teaching: Experience & Availability
- Remote Teaching: Experience & Availability
Instructor of Postbacc Workshops/Seminars
Live-Online Format via Zoom
- $4,000 flat fee per course
- When the enrollment count is more than 8 students in a course, the instructor will receive 10% of that course's tuition per student above the 8-student enrollment count. The current tuition per course is $1,050 and is subject to change.
Instructor of Extended 1:1 Career Advising/Counseling
Live-Online Format via Zoom
- $1,200 flat fee per course
- When the enrollment count is more than 8 students in a course, the instructor will receive 10% of that course's tuition per student above the 8-student enrollment count. The current tuition per course is $450 and is subject to change.
Instructor of UC Science Courses
Onsite in Santa Clara, CA
- $5,000 flat fee per course
- When the enrollment count is more than 8 students in a course, the instructor will receive 10% of that course's tuition per student above the 8-student enrollment count. The current tuition per course is $1,395 and is subject to change.
HOW TO APPLY
1) Complete the Instructor Inquiry Form
2) Submit all documents as PDFs
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae (required)
- Letter of Application that briefly summarizes your qualifications and interest in the position (optional)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (to be requested post-interview)
- Instructor Start-up Form (post-interview)
For information, firstname.lastname@example.org.
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation are part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
ABOUT THE PREMED POSTBACCALAUREATE PROGRAM
Designed for adult learners who are passionate about achieving a career in health care, the UCSC Extension Silicon Valley Premed Postbaccalaureate Program is an accelerated program for students with bachelor's degrees to complete courses they need to pursue an education in most medical and other pre-health programs. Students receive intensive guidance, coaching, and support for successful admission into a medical/health profession program and to embark on medical careers.
The UCSC Premed Postbacc program is taught through UCSC Silicon Valley Extension and the Division of Physical and Biological Sciences. It is a pilot project focusing on high-demand courses, the first step of building out a premed certificate program, followed by expanded offerings to support nurse practitioners, nurses, physician assistants, and other health professionals.
We are building a more equitable community within the greater Santa Cruz, Monterey Bay, and South San Jose areas by recruiting students from underrepresented communities to ultimately improve the health status of people who live in our region.
The pool will remain in place for one calendar year. Those interested in remaining in the pool must reapply after that. Appointments are offered on a course-by-course basis, and appointment length is based on course section schedule(s). Appointments may be renewable based on need, funding, and performance.