Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
Fall classes are offered remotely—either live-online with an instructor, entirely self-paced, or in a blended online format. Please check our coronavirus update page for our latest announcements.
Challenge yourself: Take courses on the UC Santa Cruz campus
The Open Enrollment program, also known as the Concurrent Enrollment program, gives community members the opportunity to explore an exciting topic and students the chance to finish up a degree without being formally admitted to a degree program. Enrollment is handled differently depending on your student status and which quarter you choose to enroll.
Course availability in the fall, winter, and spring quarters
Most UC Santa Cruz courses, especially in fall, winter, and spring quarters, are available on a space-available basis for Open Campus students. Enrollment is handled through the registrar at UCSC Silicon Valley Extension. (For summer enrollment, see below.)
Enrollment is complete only once the instructor of a desired course has signed the enrollment form and it is received at the Student Services office at UCSC Extension, 3175 Bowers Avenue, Santa Clara, CA 95054.
Here is the five-step enrollment process:
- Search and contact the course instructor or department (if no instructor provided) and provide them your Open Campus enrollment plans.
- Pay the one-time application fee by registering for section UCSC.1000. If you are a returning student, please email email@example.com and we will register you for the next session.
- Submit the Open Campus Supplemental Application Form.
- Submit the Instructor Approval Form.
- Pay your tuition by the deadlines indicated in fees and deadlines.
Enrolling in the summer quarter
In the summer quarter, Open Enrollment is handled differently. Courses are available through UCSC Summer Session. You need to follow that department's enrollment process, fee structure, and deadlines. For more information regarding UCSC Summer Session courses, please contact the Summer Session office at (831) 459-5373, or visit their website at http://summer.ucsc.edu/.
Open enrollment for UC Santa Cruz students
Taking a class to complete your undergraduate degree?
If so, you are in a special category and will be required to meet certain Open Campus requirements.
- All campus debts must be paid in full. Failure to report outstanding balances on campus may result in application denial.
- You must be in good academic standing with your college.
- If you are currently on academic warning or probation, you must present written approval from your college with your Concurrent Enrollment application form.
Open enrollment for members of the community
The Open Campus Program, administered by UCSC Extension, allows you to enroll in courses offered on the UC Santa Cruz campus without being formally admitted to a degree program. The Open Campus Program is available during the fall, winter, and spring quarters.
- As an Open Campus student, you may take up to 12 units per quarter, or more by petition.
- Course enrollment for members of the community is based on available space and requires instructor approval.
- Class participation and assignments are the same as for regular students.
This is an ideal program for those who:
- Desire university-level credits.
- Are thinking about returning to school, but are not sure if they want to become full-time students.
- Need only a course or two to complete degree requirements at another institution.
- Would like to take a graduate course.
- Wish to gain up-to-date information in their professional fields.
- Are advanced high school students who want to take a college course.
- Community college students are also encouraged to take Open Campus classes, but they should first check into "Cross Enrollment," a separate program with lower fees that is administered jointly by a community college and UC Santa Cruz.