Challenge Yourself: Take Courses On The UCSC Campus
Enroll in regular UCSC campus courses
The Open Campus program, also known as Concurrent Enrollment, enables you to take undergraduate and graduate-level courses without having to enroll in a formal degree program.
During Fall, Winter and Spring Quarters
Most UCSC courses are available through Open Campus on a space-available basis. Certain limitations may apply. Enrollment is complete when the instructor-signed enrollment form is received at the Student Services office at UCSC Extension, 3175 Bowers Avenue, Santa Clara, 95054.
Five-Step Enrollment Process
- Search and contact the course instructor for approval to attend their course through open campus.
- Pay the one-time application fee by registering for section UCSC.1000. If you are a returning student, please email email@example.com and we will register you for the next session.
- Submit the Open Campus Supplemental Application Form
- Submit the Instructor Approval Form
- Pay your tuition by the deadlines indicated in fees and deadlines. **Fall 19 enrollment deadline extended to October 11th**
During the Summer Quarter
Courses are available through UCSC Summer Session, with separate enrollment processes, fees, and deadlines. To obtain more information regarding UCSC Summer Session courses, please contact the Summer Session office at (831) 459-5373 or http://summer.ucsc.edu/.
Students Taking a Class to Graduate with an Undergraduate Degree
You are in a special category and will be required to obey certain rules and policies related to your use of Open Campus.
Open Campus Restrictions
- All campus debts must be paid in full. Failure to report outstanding balances on campus may result in application denial.
- You must be in good academic standing with your college. If you are currently on academic warning or probation, you must present written approval from your college with your Concurrent Enrollment application form.
Members of the Community
The Open Campus Program administered by UC Extension, Santa Cruz, is a program that allows you to enroll in courses offered on the UCSC campus without being formally admitted to a degree program. As an Open Campus student you may take up to 12 units per quarter, or more by petition.
Course enrollment is based on available space, and class participation and assignments are just the same as for regular students. The Open Campus Program is available during the fall, winter, and spring quarters.
This is an ideal program for those who:
- Desire university-level credits
- Are thinking about returning to school, but who are not sure if they want to become full-time students
- Need only a course or two to complete degree requirements at another institution
- Would like to take a graduate course
- Wish to gain up-to-date information in their professional fields
- Are advanced High School students who want to take a college course
Junior college students are also encouraged to take Open Campus classes, but they should first check into "Cross Enrollment." "Cross Enrollment" is a separate program with lower fees and is administered by the junior college and UCSC.