Certificates Frequently Asked Question
How long do I have to complete a certificate?
Timeline to get it done
- 4 years for a certificate
- 3 years for a specialization
The clock begins on the first day of your first course in the certificate program. For example, if you started a course on Sept. 5, 2023, you would have to finish by Sept. 4, 2027.
You may establish candidacy after completing your first course in the program.
Note: Declaring candidacy does not trigger the beginning of the four-year window. It begins the first day of the first course in your chosen certificate program. The Certificate Completion Review process does not have to occur within the four-year timeframe.
Exceptions to the four-year requirement
- If you declare candidacy before Jan. 1, 2024, you will have five years to complete a program.
- Students participating in a special program, such as workforce, international, or our curriculum partner programs, such as the Legal Studies courses (CLS by Barbri) and sales and business courses (Ziplines Education) have shorter completion requirements.
- You must enroll in the certificate program before enrolling in the Certificate Completion Review.