Visit our COVID update page.
In this course, we look at the role of the visual designer as a vital member of the creative team responsible for the look and feel of digital assets. We will study graphic design fundamentals such as color theory and typography, layout techniques, branding design, web graphic optimization, motion graphics, and production techniques for web and mobile. You will explore the corporate design system, its purpose, and how tech industries rely on it to dominate their market. You’ll experience the function of visual design as a collaborative process. Guest speakers may include visual designers, UX designers, and researchers from major Silicon Valley tech companies.
This course will benefit graphic designers, web professionals, product managers, web developers, and anyone interested in learning the fundamental visual design skills to create professional-looking UI for digital media.
Learning OutcomesAt the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Create wireframes and prototypes for web and mobile apps
- Create user-centered user interfaces for digital media
- Understand visual design principles and design systems used in industry
- Understand the user experience design process and the role of a visual designer
- Collaborate with other stakeholders in the team at work
- Graphic Design fundamentals
- The fundamentals of design: Color theory and typography
- Page layout principles and techniques
- Building brand assets, logos, and style guides
- Visual design essentials for digital media
- HTML and CSS basics: Coding for non-developers
- Capturing your thoughts with sketches and wireframes
- Block design technique and scale of importance
- Mobile app design principles
- Introduction to design systems and design languages
Working knowledge of:
- Google Workspace or Microsoft Office to submit assignments
- Canvas navigation links, modules, and using the inbox to communicate with the instructor
- Adobe Illustrator, Introduction; UX Design Fundamentals
Additional InformationPlease review section notes to view the full schedule.
You can use either PC or Mac computers.
Adobe Illustrator and UX Design Fundamentals courses are recommended but not required.
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
Estimated Cost: TBD
Course Availability Notification
Please use this form to be notified when this course is open for enrollment.