Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
Enjoy a fully remote summer of professional education at the Silicon Valley Campus and the re-emergence of in-person courses in September. Visit our COVID update page.
Viruses, Vaccines and Antiviral Therapy | BTEC.X413
Not since the great Spanish flu pandemic at the end of World War I, estimated to have taken the lives of 50–100 million people, have humans experienced an infectious disease threat like the current coronavirus pandemic. In the last decade we have seen outbreaks of Zika and Ebola viruses, as well as an increased frequency in other dangerous viral infections.
In this comprehensive virology course, designed to prepare people for career advancement in both clinical and biopharmaceutical roles, students will have the opportunity to study coronavirus biology and learn about the status of drugs and vaccines being developed to target SARS-CoV-2. We will learn about past viral pandemics, such as influenza, smallpox, and polio and examine how viruses replicate in human hosts, spread in human populations, and alter human history.
Other key topics include:
- Recent developments in molecular biology and genetics that have been instrumental in developing viral vaccines and antiviral drugs.
- How viruses cause disease (pathogenesis).
- The relationship between viruses and cancer.
- Host defense mechanisms.
- The influence of climate change on emerging viral diseases.
- The role viruses play in gene therapy and gene editing as well as treating cancer and bacterial infection.
- The problem of antiviral drug resistance.
- How to effectively use antiviral drugs to treat viral disease.
- Emerging viruses.
- The risks and benefits of viral vaccines.
- The polio eradication campaign.
- The epidemiology of influenza virus.
- The challenges of developing an HIV-1 vaccine.
Although some knowledge of molecular biology is desirable, a desire to appreciate the significance of viruses in real-world settings is sufficient for this course. Professional Credit: CA BRN/LVN Credit--Provider #CEP13114, 15.0 hours.
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Wed, 09-01-2021||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Wed, 09-08-2021||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Wed, 09-15-2021||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Wed, 09-22-2021||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Wed, 09-29-2021||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Wed, 10-06-2021||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Wed, 10-13-2021||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Wed, 10-20-2021||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Wed, 10-27-2021||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Wed, 11-03-2021||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|