Fall Hours • COVID-19 Update
The Silicon Valley Campus is open 4–9:30 p.m. on Monday–Friday and 8 a.m.–5 p.m. on Saturday.
Validating Software for Medical Devices and Emerging Technologies | MEDD.X410
With the increasing number of medical devices running on software, there is an enormous demand for quality assurance and regulatory affairs professionals who can address the validation, documentation, compliance and submission requirements unique to software-controlled devices. This how-to course covers the requirements for validation for all types of software, including Class II and III embedded medical device software, digital health apps, software as a medical device, medical device data systems, manufacturing software, automated test software, process software, quality system software, and spreadsheets. Student engage in interactive classroom discussions and an in-depth survey of the regulations, guidance documents and standards specific to medical device software and validation.
At the end of the course, students should be able to
- Identify the different types of software regulated by the FDA and interpret the latest FDA regulations, guidelines and International standards applicable to medical device software
- Discuss software level of concern and use it to focus validation activities and develop an appropriate validation strategy
- Explain the different requirements for validation of device, manufacturing & quality system software and discuss how to differentiate between verification and validation in software testing
- Create a software validation plan, test procedure and software validation report that documents software validation activities and complies with regulatory requirements
Students work on a project designed to determine software level of concern, define a software validation strategy, write a software validation plan, create software validation test procedures and test cases, and write a software validation report. They learn effective documentation and the regulatory requirements and expectations for software used in the medical device industry.
- Save your seat and help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- ACCESSING CANVAS—Learn more about accessing your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Course Availability Notification
Please use this form to be notified when this course is open for enrollment.