Visit our COVID update page.
This follow-up to “User Experience Design Fundamentals” covers new design methods and offers hands-on practice. In addition to understanding the UX design principles and processes at a greater depth, advanced practitioners also have to engage users for research, use tools to communicate design, as well as carry out the design in a collaborative product development environment. If you want to take your design skills to the next level and practice advanced techniques in user experience design, this is the course for you.
The course focuses on application of the design methodologies and design strategies, from concept development to prototyping, including user research and design presentations. The goal of this course is to get you ready to take real-world UX design challenges and master industry practices in interaction design, visual design and information design, including DOs and DON’Ts. You will also learn how to apply human cognitive principles in design. The course will expose you to design & prototyping tools to create effective and pleasing user experiences. The course includes techniques for team collaboration, UX design presentation, documentation, and effective codification, as commonly practiced with clients and in corporations.
You will work on individual and team projects while sharpening your UX design skills and knowledge, while receiving feedback from the class. Projects may include websites, software applications, or product interfaces. The course will also provide guidance in establishing a UX design portfolio.
Learning OutcomesAt the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Select and use design tools appropriately
- Practice appropriate research techniques
- Apply learnings from cognitive psychology
- Select and use design methods effectively
- Collaborate as designers in a team
- Apply global design principles across domains
- Present and share their work with others
- Clearly codify and document their design ideas and solutions
- Design Thinking
- Design Methods and Strategies
- Applying Design Principles
- Research Methods
Working knowledge of:
- Google Workspace or Microsoft Office to submit assignments
- Canvas navigation links, modules, and using the inbox to communicate with the instructor
- User Experience Design Fundamentals
- An image processing and/or drawing application (e.g. Adobe Illustrator, Google Drawings, OmniGraffle, Sketch, or a similar program) is required. The drawing is to communicate product design in high fidelity graphics.
Additional InformationPlease review section notes to view the full schedule.
Students should have completed the prerequisite course, or have at least two years of work experience in the field.
Participants will also be exposed to a deep library of resources and tools for later reference and use.
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
Estimated Cost: $950
Course Availability Notification
Please use this form to be notified when this course is open for enrollment.