How do you begin to teach English to a student who is starting from square one? How can students grasp fundamentals without the benefit of translation? Participants in this course learn the basic principles and central guiding hypotheses of the Natural Approach to second-language acquisition. The course focuses on beginning language learners and highlights strategies for creating comprehensible, multimodal language lessons; modifying speech; fostering a low-stress environment; and giving timely feedback.
After reviewing basic exemplary instructional factors, most of the course time will be spent on demonstrations of and participation in practical classroom strategies.
This course is appropriate for teachers in grades K--12, as well as adult education programs.
Learning OutcomesAt the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Describe who the ESL students are and the big picture of that population
- Identify strategies for creating comprehensible ESL lessons
- Explain the principles to foster a low-stress learning environment
- Discuss the challenges of ESL educators in K-12 and adult education classrooms
- English Learners in the 21st Century
- Research on Second Language Acquisition
- Effective English Learner Instruction
- Emergent Literacy: English as Second Language (ESL) Reading, Writing, and Reading
Working knowledge of:
Please review section notes to view the full schedule.
Have a question about this course?
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
This course is related to the following programs:
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Sat, 03-02-2024||11:00 a.m.||6:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Sat, 03-09-2024||11:00 a.m.||6:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|