Fall Hours • COVID-19 Update
The Silicon Valley Campus is open 4–9:30 p.m. on Monday–Friday and 8 a.m.–5 p.m. on Saturday.
Printed Circuit Board Design for Signal Integrity and EMC Compliance | EMBD.X409
This course presents simplified design techniques for the design and layout of printed circuit boards to achieve both signal integrity and electromagnetic compatibility (EMC). Signal integrity is a primary concern for system functionality while EMC compliance allows a product to be legally sold. This course was developed for both experienced and entry level engineers who are responsible for printed circuit board designs and system level products.
Upon completion, students should be able to create a high-density, high technology printed circuit board that meets or exceeds test and system level requirements easily. In an informal tutorial format, design and layout techniques are introduced in a simple to follow step-by-step presentation that allows plenty of opportunities to address specific questions. Major instructional emphasis is placed on real-life examples that demonstrate good layout practices that can be incorporated immediately. Simulation results will be presented to demonstrate basic principles. This course is taught at the fundamental level, not tied to any PCB tool. Rigorous mathematical analysis and theory will not be presented. Multi-layer, high-density designs is the focus of the course, however, single- and double-sided designs are examined based upon fundamental concepts for multi-layer boards.
- Fundamental concepts of signal integrity and EMC
- Material science related to construction of a printed circuit board
- Suppression and grounding
- Layer stackup assignments
- Power distribution networks (bypassing/decoupling)
- Transmission lines requiring impedance control and routing
- Transmission line termination
- Interconnects and I/O
- Electrostatic discharge protection
- Backplanes and large busses
- Miscellaneous design techniques and concepts
Skills Needed: Prior experience with printed circuit board and system level design and testing is highly desired. A solid foundation in basic electrical engineering principles helps one understand fundamental design concepts. This course targets the spectrum of designers, from entry-level to senior engineer, including EMC engineers.
- Save your seat and help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- ACCESSING CANVAS—Learn more about accessing your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Course Availability Notification
Please use this form to be notified when this course is open for enrollment.