Upon completion, students should be able to create a high-density, high technology printed circuit board that meets or exceeds test and system level requirements easily. In an informal tutorial format, design and layout techniques are introduced in a simple to follow step-by-step presentation that allows plenty of opportunities to address specific questions. Major instructional emphasis is placed on real-life examples that demonstrate good layout practices that can be incorporated immediately. Simulation results will be presented to demonstrate basic principles. This course is taught at the fundamental level, not tied to any PCB tool. Rigorous mathematical analysis and theory will not be presented. Multi-layer, high-density designs is the focus of the course, however, single- and double-sided designs are examined based upon fundamental concepts for multi-layer boards.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Explain simplified electromagnetic theory and physics using a visualization approach
- Design printed circuit boards and systems to achieve both signal integrity and EMC compliance quickly and at low cost
- Resolve almost every signal integrity and EMC problem using five simple algebraic equations instead of time consuming simulations or attempting to solve Maxwell's equations
- Fundamental concepts of signal integrity and EMC
- Material science related to construction of a printed circuit board
- Suppression and grounding
- Layer stackup assignments
- Power distribution networks (bypassing/decoupling)
- Transmission lines requiring impedance control and routing
- Transmission line termination
- Interconnects and I/O
- Electrostatic discharge protection
- Backplanes and large busses
- Miscellaneous design techniques and concepts
Skills Needed: Prior experience with printed circuit board and system level design and testing is highly desired. A solid foundation in basic electrical engineering principles helps one understand fundamental design concepts. This course targets the spectrum of designers, from entry-level to senior engineer, including EMC engineers.
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Tue, 10-24-2023||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Flexible||SANTA CLARA / REMOTE|
|Tue, 10-31-2023||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Flexible||SANTA CLARA / REMOTE|
|Tue, 11-07-2023||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Flexible||SANTA CLARA / REMOTE|
|Tue, 11-14-2023||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Flexible||SANTA CLARA / REMOTE|
|Tue, 11-21-2023||6:30 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Flexible||SANTA CLARA / REMOTE|