Fall Hours • COVID-19 Update
The Silicon Valley Campus is open 4–9:30 p.m. on Monday–Friday and 8 a.m.–5 p.m. on Saturday.
Next-Gen Sequence Analysis Tools - A Hands-On Approach | BINF.X405
There are numerous algorithms available as freeware or by public access in the cloud that make complex biological sequence analyses accessible to everyone. This self-paced, introductory course, aimed at professionals who want to break into the sequencing-related field of bioinformatics, explores important public access tools used for analyzing biological sequence data.
Through hands-on examples and exercises, you will learn how to access public databases for raw sequence data and perform the basic steps in processing next-generation sequence data for RNA, DNA, and ChIP sequencing data to obtain interpretable results.
You will get to explore the analytical parts of next-gen sequencing without having to do wet lab work because we’ve designed this course for people who are interested in a quick introduction to tools that allow for quick problem-solving without a deep theoretical understanding of how the tools work.
Most job postings for technicians and scientists in the molecular biology field ask for experience with next-gen sequencing. Having experience with the analytical tools is considered a plus on job applications.
At the end of the course, students should be able to
- Process raw sequence for DNA and RNA for use in analytical algorithms
- Use Galaxy and R programs for performing data analyses
- Generate graphical outputs from the analytical results
- Annotate analytical results to convey biological meaning about the samples analyzed
- Save your seat and help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- ACCESSING CANVAS—Learn more about accessing your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Wed, 01-26-2022||12:01 a.m.||11:59 p.m.||Online Traditional||ONLINE|
|Wed, 04-27-2022||12:01 a.m.||11:59 p.m.||Online Traditional||ONLINE|