Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
Fall classes are offered remotely—either live-online with an instructor, entirely self-paced, or in a blended online format. Please check our coronavirus update page for our latest announcements.
Math Development in Young Children
This course focuses on teaching math to young children and covers California math standards for early childhood. You'll participate in hands-on activities and create exciting math games for young children. The course also addresses how young children recognize patterns in nature and how you can connect math to art. With ample instructor modeling, you'll practice ways to create unforgettable moments of discovery, enchantment, and magic by studying geometric patterns and numbers. This course is recommended for teachers, parents, and caregivers of preschoolers and kindergartners. A strong background in mathematics is not required.
- Curriculum principles for early childhood mathematics
- Mathematical learning for children ages 3 through 8
- Mathematical processes in early childhood curriculum
- Promoting development of key skills and concepts through math play
By the end of the course, you'll be able to:
- Describe some activities that lead children to become more engaged in mathematics
- Understand the importance of planning math curriculum for children
- Explain strategies that help children who find math challenging
- Identify assessments that can be used to see if children understand new math concepts
Course Availability Notification
Please use this form to be notified when this course is open for enrollment.
Ask us any questions you may have about this course.