Fall Hours • COVID-19 Update
The Silicon Valley Campus is open 4–9:30 p.m. on Monday–Friday and 8 a.m.–5 p.m. on Saturday.
Math Development in Young Children | ECED.X316
This course focuses on teaching math to young children and covers California math standards for early childhood. You'll participate in hands-on activities and create exciting math games for young children. The course also addresses how young children recognize patterns in nature and how you can connect math to art. With ample instructor modeling, you'll practice ways to create unforgettable moments of discovery, enchantment, and magic by studying geometric patterns and numbers. This course is recommended for teachers, parents, and caregivers of preschoolers and kindergartners. A strong background in mathematics is not required.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Learn preschool through kindergarten standards for math
- Learn a value of hands-on activities
- Design hands-on math activities
- Learn the relationship between math and art
- Describe patterns in nature and the importance of patterns in math
- Introduce hands-on activities related to patterns for young children
- Create line art and origami activities to do with young children
- Collect ideas about presenting math activities from the other students
- Brainstorm and reflect upon activities done by other students and see how they can be implemented for different age groups
- Curriculum principles for early childhood mathematics
- Mathematical learning for children ages 3 through 8
- Mathematical processes in early childhood curriculum
- Promoting development of key skills and concepts through math play
Have a question about this course?
- Save your seat and help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- ACCESSING CANVAS—Learn more about accessing your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
This course is related to the following programs:
Course Availability Notification
Please use this form to be notified when this course is open for enrollment.