Visit our COVID update page.
This course focuses on teaching math to young children and covers California math standards for early childhood. You'll participate in hands-on activities and create exciting math games for young children. The course also addresses how young children recognize patterns in nature and how you can connect math to art. With ample instructor modeling, you'll practice ways to create unforgettable moments of discovery, enchantment, and magic by studying geometric patterns and numbers. This course is recommended for teachers, parents, and caregivers of preschoolers and kindergartners. A strong background in mathematics is not required.
Learning OutcomesAt the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Describe preschool through kindergarten standards for math
- Describe patterns in nature and the importance of patterns in math
- Discuss the value of hands-on activities for early learners
- Explain relationships between math and art
- Identify developmentally appropriate methods for teaching math to young children
- Curriculum principles for early childhood mathematics
- Mathematical learning for children ages 3 through 8
- Mathematical processes in early childhood curriculum
- Promoting development of key skills and concepts through math play
- To be successful in this class all students should have working knowledge of Google Workspace or Microsoft Office, proper email etiquette, and an essential understanding of Canvas.
Please review section notes to view the full schedule.
Have a question about this course?
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
This course is related to the following programs:
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Thu, 04-20-2023||12:01 a.m.||11:59 p.m.||Online Traditional||ONLINE|
|Thu, 06-01-2023||12:01 a.m.||11:59 p.m.||Online Traditional||ONLINE|