Immunology involves a complex network of interacting molecules and cells that function to recognize and respond to foreign agents. It also has wide-ranging implications for the pharmaceutical, healthcare and biotechnology industries. This course provides the fundamental principles of immunology, along with recent developments and their implications for drug discovery and development, as well as disease treatment.
The course highlights immunological techniques important in research and clinical laboratories. This course is intended for researchers in biotechnology or pharmaceutical companies, nurses, and others interested in gaining a background in the fundamentals of immunology. It has been specifically designed both for those who are new to immunology and for those who already have some understanding but wish to update their knowledge.
- Innate, humoral and cell-mediated immunity, adaptive immunity
- The clonal selection of lymphocytes
- Antigens, antibodies and their interactions
- Antibody gene rearrangement
- Lymphocyte development
- Aspects of clinical immunology such as inflammation
- The immune response to bacterial, viral, fungal and parasitic diseases
- AIDS and other immunodeficiencies
- Autoimmune diseases
- Transplantation immunology
- Cancer and Immunology: Infection, Immunity and origins of Cancer; Immunotherapy approaches in Cancer; CAR T-cells and use in treatment of Cancer
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Understand key fundamental concepts and terms of immunology
- Understand how principles of immunology affects human health and disease conditions
- Familiarize students with experimental strategies and techniques in immunology
Working knowledge of:
- General microbiology and basic chemistry. Knowledge of cell biology is recommended.
Please review section notes to view the full schedule.
Professional CreditCA BRN/LVN Credit--Provider #CEP13114.
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Fri, 01-12-2024||6:00 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Fri, 01-19-2024||6:00 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Fri, 01-26-2024||6:00 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Fri, 02-02-2024||6:00 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Fri, 02-09-2024||6:00 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Fri, 02-16-2024||6:00 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Fri, 02-23-2024||6:00 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Fri, 03-01-2024||6:00 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Fri, 03-08-2024||6:00 p.m.||9:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|