See our latest COVID updates.
This course introduces the fundamental principles of human physiology in health and disease, and provides insight into emerging and established therapies used to treat a range of disease processes. Designed for individuals who lack formal medical training, the course introduces the hierarchical organization of the body, from cells to coordinated organ systems, and continues with a discussion of the key integrative/homeostatic control mechanisms. With these topics as a foundation, the instructor progresses through the functions of major systems, including renal, cardiovascular, respiratory, neuromuscular, digestive, endocrine and reproductive.
This course benefits clinical research, biopharmaceutical, and engineering professionals who need a basic understanding of the physiological processes and therapeutic approaches that underlie the biomedical projects or clinical trials on which they work.
- To be successful in this class all students should have working knowledge of Google’s G Suite or Microsoft Office, proper email etiquette, and essential understanding of Canvas.
- High school or preferably college-level chemistry and biology.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Understand the organization of the human body
- Discuss the physiological processes
- Describe integrative/control mechanisms of the body (functional homeostasis)
- Discuss what goes wrong in selected disease states (loss of homeostatic control)
- Understand current therapeutic approaches/modalities for selected diseases
- Basic Chemistry
- Cells and Tissues
- The Cardiovascular System
- Respiratory System
- Urinary System
- Digestive System
- Endocrine System
- Nervous System
- Lymphatic System and Immune System
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
Estimated Cost: TBD
Course Availability Notification
Please use this form to be notified when this course is open for enrollment.