Visit our COVID update page.
Understanding and applying human factors is essential to ensuring product usability and user satisfaction. More importantly, consideration of human factors during the design and development of medical devices helps to ensure patient safety by minimizing the risks introduced by user error. This course begins with the fundamental principles of human factors and builds on that foundation each week to cover core concepts and demonstrate how human factors fit into the larger context of medical device software and hardware development. Lessons address the integration of human factors and usability into the product development lifecycle, regulatory considerations, including applicable FDA guidance and standards (ANSI/IEC), and human factors methods.
The course is beneficial for professionals who already have a basic understanding of risk management and quality systems, as well as a broad range of technical professionals, including those with no prior medical device experience.
- To be successful in this class all students should have working knowledge of Google’s G Suite or Microsoft Office, proper email etiquette, and essential understanding of Canvas.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Define the role of human factors in the medical device design process
- Understand appropriate human factors methodologies for the development of medical devices
- Identify human factors standards relevant to medical device development.
- Review human factors documentation against the standards and process.
- Discuss human factors engineering requirements.
- Identify usability issues related to product design.
- Applicable Standards/Guidance Documents
- Task/Workflow Analysis
- Formative & Summative Evaluations
- 62366 Checklist
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
Estimated Cost: TBD
Course Availability Notification
Please use this form to be notified when this course is open for enrollment.