Building Closed Memorial Day Weekend
The Silicon Valley Campus is closed Saturday, May 27 through Monday, May 29, 2023, in honor of Memorial Day. We will reopen for classes on Tuesday.
Along with the practical aspects of the course, there will also be a particular emphasis on the planning, presentation, and critical evaluation of the results in the form of a laboratory report or oral presentation. You'll also learn about high-throughput sequencing and microarray expression analysis, methods that generate massive amounts of biological data. The instructor discusses the types of data these techniques generate, the relevance to bioinformatics, and their uses in the diagnosis and treatment of human disease.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Explain the principles of basic methods in experimental molecular biology
- Describe experimental molecular biology techniques, quantitative methods, and instrumentation used in functional genome research and biotechnology
- Apply learned techniques when solving molecular biological problems
- Understand the general safety regulations for laboratory work in molecular biology
- Interpret experimental data
- Critically evaluate and discuss experimental results
- Gene cloning, manipulation and sequencing
- RNA interference
- Gene expression analysis
- Protein expression, engineering, and structure determination
- Fundamentals of experimental design
Working knowledge of:
- Google Workspace or Microsoft Office to submit assignments
- Canvas navigation links, modules, and using the inbox to communicate with the instructor
- “Molecular Biology, Introduction" or equivalent course.
Additional InformationPlease review section notes to view the full schedule.
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Start / End Date||Quarter Units||Cost||Instructor|
|06-26-2023 to 09-24-2023||3.0||$815||Schedule||Enroll|
Final Date To Enroll: 06-26-2023
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Mon, 06-26-2023||12:01 a.m.||11:59 p.m.||Online Self-paced||ONLINE|
|Sun, 09-24-2023||12:01 a.m.||11:59 p.m.||Online Self-paced||ONLINE|