Music is a part of all cultures and, for many, is a very important part of our lives. For this reason, music is an exceptional tool for teaching ESL. Music and movement activities in the classroom can offer a creative and beneficial break from the normal routine. They can help your students develop the primary language skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing. A myriad of researchers have documented the fact that music provides enjoyment and assists in the development of language skills. This course will help your students sing their way to fluent English!
The course provides the tools that teachers need to easily foster the acquisition of ESL through song lyrics and student movement. Students develop practical lesson plans with activities that can be used immediately in the classroom.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Enhance student oral and written communication skills through songs
- Develop a lesson using popular music lyrics
- Read about, create, and view demonstrations of effective strategies and activities used in ESL
- Create extension activities that include movements
- Explore ESL websites to help in future lesson plans
- Share ideas and lessons with classmates in order to develop a "Book of Music lesson Plans"
- Describe why music and movement is essential to teaching ESL
- Describe the various ways to make a lesson successful and memorable
- Create puzzles, worksheets and activities to extend vocabulary & comprehension
- 10 ESL Activities That Will Bring Music to Your Ears
- How to Teach Using Songs
- Using Music for English or Foreign Language Learning
- Neuroscience of Music
Working knowledge of:
- Communication and collaboration tools such as Google Workspace, Microsoft Office, or LibreOffice
- Learning Management Systems (LMS) such as Canvas including navigation links, modules, etc.
Please review section notes to view the full schedule.
All readings will be provided
Have a question about this course?
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
This course is related to the following programs:
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Start / End Date||Quarter Units||Cost||Instructor|
|07-26-2023 to 08-20-2023||2.0||$435||Schedule||Enroll|
Final Date To Enroll: 07-26-2023
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Wed, 07-26-2023||12:01 a.m.||11:59 p.m.||Online Traditional||ONLINE|
|Sun, 08-20-2023||12:01 a.m.||11:59 p.m.||Online Traditional||ONLINE|