See our latest COVID updates.
This course is designed for those who work or plan to work in child-care programs for children up to three years of age. The focus is on understanding growth and development and recognizing the range of individual differences within developmental norms. Participants engage in a variety of activities to promote theory learning and observation skills. Topics include gross and fine motor skills, perception, emotions and feelings, social skills, cognition and language.
- To be successful in this class all students should have working knowledge of Google’s G Suite or Microsoft Office, proper email etiquette, and essential understanding of Canvas.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Develop an understanding of the interactions among familial, cultural, social and physical environments that influence growth and development of infants and toddlers
- Demonstrate knowledge of an infant's physical, perceptual, sensory motor, socioemotional, and cognitive growth and development
- Demonstrate understanding of theories and research of infant education and development
- Recognize, analyze, and discuss quality environments and care for infants through the identification and interpretation of State regulations and California Department of Education’s Infant/Toddler - Learning and Development Program Guidelines
- Identify and assess developmental expectations for infant learning and construct appropriate educational activities and materials
- Identify requirements, regulations and program components and types of programs in infant care
- Construct a philosophy and design a program for infant care and education
- Routines/Schedules for feeding and changing
- Adopting a problem-solving approach to conflict
- Redesigning the toddler room
Having had a child or taking care of a young child is beneficial when sharing in class discussions.
Please order your book ASAP
Next Section Starts In:
Oct. 3, 2022, 5:30 p.m.
Have a question about this course?
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
This course is related to the following programs:
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Mon, 10-03-2022||5:30 p.m.||8:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Mon, 10-10-2022||5:30 p.m.||8:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Mon, 10-17-2022||5:30 p.m.||8:30 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|