Fall Hours • COVID-19 Update
The Silicon Valley Campus is open 4–9:30 p.m. on Monday–Friday and 8 a.m.–5 p.m. on Saturday.
ECE 6: Culture and Diversity in the Early Childhood Classroom | ECED.X306
This course explores diversity, values, culture, racism and oppression from the educator's' viewpoint and the impacts these factors have on creating a positive multicultural classroom environment. You’ll learn various styles of communicating with parents, and role-play scenarios to practice handling awkward situations. Course assignments provide an opportunity to develop multicultural lesson plans that can be used in an early childhood classroom.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Make a distinction between awareness and politics
- Define learning styles
- Define cultural diversity
- Develop self-awareness surrounding our own attitudes about students in our classroom(s)
- Create a distinction between prejudice, discrimination, and racism
- Discuss racism and oppression from the educator's point of view
- Understand, acknowledge, and plan for the needs of diverse learners
- Develop multicultural lesson plans for students in the early childhood classroom
- Recognize the qualities and benefits of a safe space that allows all students to thrive
- Create a multicultural learning environment that meets the needs of all children
- Understand the importance of parent involvement in early childhood development
- Brainstorm effective ways to involve parents in their children's learning
- Synthesize course information and plan for future implementation
- Diverse learners
- Cultural diversity
- Racism and oppression
- Differentiated instruction
- Multicultural lesson plans
- Home-school partnerships
- Confronting bias and overcoming cultural conflict
- Save your seat and help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- ACCESSING CANVAS—Learn more about accessing your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Course Availability Notification
Please use this form to be notified when this course is open for enrollment.