This course explores diversity, values, culture, racism and oppression from the educator's viewpoint and the impacts these factors have on creating a positive multicultural classroom environment. You’ll learn various styles of communicating with parents, and role-play scenarios to practice handling awkward situations. Course assignments provide an opportunity to develop multicultural lesson plans that can be used in an early childhood classroom.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Make a distinction between awareness and politics
- Define learning styles
- Define cultural diversity
- Develop self-awareness surrounding our own attitudes about students in our classroom(s)
- Create a distinction between prejudice, discrimination, and racism
- Discuss racism and oppression from the educator's point of view
- Understand, acknowledge, and plan for the needs of diverse learners
- Develop multicultural lesson plans for students in the early childhood classroom
- Recognize the qualities and benefits of a safe space that allows all students to thrive
- Create a multicultural learning environment that meets the needs of all children
- Understand the importance of parent involvement in early childhood development
- Brainstorm effective ways to involve parents in their children's learning
- Synthesize course information and plan for future implementation
- Diverse learners
- Cultural diversity
- Racism and oppression
- Differentiated instruction
- Multicultural lesson plans
- Home-school partnerships
- Confronting bias and overcoming cultural conflict
Working knowledge of:
Additional InformationPlease review section notes to view the full schedule.
This course is designed to be consumed in chunks: each module contains a "chunk" of information or course of study and must be completed within the week it is allocated.
Have a question about this course?
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
This course is related to the following programs:
Estimated Cost: TBD
Course Availability Notification
Please use this form to be notified when this course is open for enrollment.