Spring Courses Open for Enrollment15% discount on select winter & spring courses for all subscribers.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
Our courses are taught remotely through spring 2021. Please check our coronavirus update page for our latest announcements.
ECE 6: Culture and Diversity in the Early Childhood Classroom
This course explores diversity, values, culture, racism and oppression from the educator's' viewpoint and the impacts these factors have on creating a positive multicultural classroom environment. You’ll learn various styles of communicating with parents, and role-play scenarios to practice handling awkward situations. Course assignments provide an opportunity to develop multicultural lesson plans that can be used in an early childhood classroom.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Make a distinction between awareness and politics
- Define learning styles
- Define cultural diversity
- Develop self-awareness surrounding our own attitudes about students in our classroom(s)
- Create a distinction between prejudice, discrimination, and racism
- Discuss racism and oppression from the educator's point of view
- Understand, acknowledge, and plan for the needs of diverse learners
- Develop multicultural lesson plans for students in the early childhood classroom
- Recognize the qualities and benefits of a safe space that allows all students to thrive
- Create a multicultural learning environment that meets the needs of all children
- Understand the importance of parent involvement in early childhood development
- Brainstorm effective ways to involve parents in their children's learning
- Synthesize course information and plan for future implementation
- Diverse learners
- Cultural diversity
- Racism and oppression
- Differentiated instruction
- Multicultural lesson plans
- Home-school partnerships
- Confronting bias and overcoming cultural conflict
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Thu, 04-01-2021||12:00 a.m.||12:00 a.m.||Online||ONLINE|
|Sun, 05-16-2021||11:58 p.m.||11:59 p.m.||Online||ONLINE|
Ask us any questions you may have about this course.