Fall Hours • COVID-19 Update
The Silicon Valley Campus is open 4–9:30 p.m. on Monday–Friday and 8 a.m.–5 p.m. on Saturday.
ECE 5: Positive Guidance and Discipline for the Young Child | ECED.X305
Participants in this course learn to identify children's behavior to determine whether it is normal, developmentally appropriate or problematic. Cooperative discipline is explored in the wider context of classroom management, working with staff and parents. Behaviors are examined to better understand why children behave the way they do and to correct behaviors with a guidance and discipline strategy that is positive, respectful of both child and adult, and developmentally appropriate. Participants also learn to practice prevention of certain behaviors and guide children through the use of positive discipline. The focus is on how an adult can behave when a difficult situation arises and be as effective as possible in creating an atmosphere of safety that supports all children in reaching their fullest potential.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Describe the developmentally appropriate behaviors of young children
- Discuss positively and respectfully guiding principles
- Explain the theoretical foundation of prevention strategies
- Identify the effective communication approach to collaborate with parents and other teachers
Have a question about this course?
- Save your seat and help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- ACCESSING CANVAS—Learn more about accessing your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
This course is related to the following programs:
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Tue, 03-01-2022||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Tue, 03-08-2022||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Tue, 03-15-2022||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Tue, 03-22-2022||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Tue, 03-29-2022||6:00 p.m.||9:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|