This course focuses on the history of early childhood education, the laws governing early childhood centers in California, and the goals of early childhood education. You’ll also discuss the administrator's job description, budgeting, personnel selection and standards, records and reports, and staff policies. The course discusses laws and regulations pertaining to the operation of an early childhood program and examines how to budget administrative responsibilities. You’ll develop the skills necessary to create an early childhood environment which meets space, equipment, health and safety requirements, and evaluate your program quality using the Environmental Rating Scale. This course is a good fit for educators interested in obtaining the California Child Program Director Permit.
Learning OutcomesAt the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Identify the history of early childhood education
- Identify the organization, function and relationship of the different types of programs for young children
- Recognize laws and regulations pertaining to the operation of an early childhood program
- Develop guidelines for selecting staff members for a program
- Develop staff policies and procedures for an early childhood program
- Plan early childhood environments which meet space, equipment, health and safety requirements
- Examine budget and record keeping administrative responsibilities
- Evaluate an early childhood program for quality using the Environmental Rating Scale.
- Framework for your work
- Learning goals and action steps
- Staff conflict resolution
- Child care budgeting/approach assessment
- Hiring (qualifications and job descriptions)
- Licensing policies and procedures
- Child care environment rating
- Creating your program’s vision
Working knowledge of:
Additional InformationPlease review section notes to view the full schedule.
Have a question about this course?
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
This course is related to the following programs:
Estimated Cost: TBD
Course Availability Notification
Please use this form to be notified when this course is open for enrollment.