All campus visitors must be fully vaccinated (boosted). Masks are highly recommended. Instructors & staff are required to submit a daily symptom check. COVID updates.
Participants explore human development from prenatal stages through middle childhood and study the interrelationships among social, emotional, physical and cognitive development, with a focus on the role of play in early childhood. Using observational techniques, the class identifies developmentally appropriate characteristics and activities.
- To be successful in this class all students should have working knowledge of Google’s G Suite or Microsoft Office, proper email etiquette, and essential understanding of Canvas.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Describe the influence of various social contexts on development including family, school, childcare, the media, and culture
- Discuss some views consistent with current knowledge and research in child development, based upon several current issues in child development
- Observe, record, analyze and compare children’s behavior and relate it to course materials on development
- Identify the major milestones in child development from birth through adolescence in social, emotional, cognitive and physical development
- Examining the relationships of the child to their family, community, and culture.
- Learning about expected behavior and growth patterns of infants through adolescence.
- To study the social, emotional, intellectual, and physical development of the child from conception through adolescence.
- Observing, recording, analyzing and comparing children’s behavior and relating it to course materials on development.
- Recognize and appraise the influence of various social contexts on development including family, school, childcare, the media, and culture.
- Examine the significance of various statuses and characteristics such as gender, disabilities and socioeconomic status on children’s development.
Students must bring the required textbook to the first class meeting.
Have a question about this course?
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
This course is related to the following programs:
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Sat, 06-18-2022||9:00 a.m.||4:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Sat, 06-25-2022||9:00 a.m.||4:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Sat, 07-09-2022||9:00 a.m.||4:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|
|Sat, 07-16-2022||9:00 a.m.||4:00 p.m.||Live-Online||REMOTE|