Spring Courses Open for Enrollment15% discount on select winter & spring courses for all subscribers.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
Our courses are taught remotely through spring 2021. Please check our coronavirus update page for our latest announcements.
Designing with Cascading Style Sheets: Fundamentals
For Web designers, cascading style sheets (CSS) is an essential and mandatory coding language for controlling the presentation of a modern Web site. Combined with proper HTML markup, CSS allows for precise control over Web page appearance. Because a style sheet can be linked to many Web pages, changing one element in a style sheet can affect the look of an entire site.
This introductory course includes demonstrations and hands-on exercises covering the application and syntax of CSS; hand-coding CSS properties for font and text formatting; backgrounds; the box model; creating vertical and horizontal navigation menus and two and three column page-layouts. Inheritance and specificity are also discussed. Consideration for designing for accessibility will be discussed.
At the end of the class, students will be able to design table-less Web pages by applying cascading style sheets and will understand the techniques, which adhere to current CSS specifications.
- Tools and techniques to write and validate CSS
- Separating a page's content from the visual presentation of the page
- External, internal, and inline styles
- CSS selectors such as element, class, ID, pseudo-class and attribute selectors
- CSS properties for font and text formatting, lists and backgrounds
- Inheritance and Specificity
- The Box Model
- Styling Tables
- CSS for Printing
- Horizontal and vertical navigation bars
- Creating two and three column layouts
- Positioning including relative, absolute and fixed
- Working with the z-index
Skills Needed: "HTML Fundamentals" or equivalent experience.
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Tue, 04-06-2021||9:00 a.m.||12:00 p.m.||Online||ONLINE|
|Tue, 07-13-2021||12:00 a.m.||11:59 p.m.||Online||ONLINE|
Ask us any questions you may have about this course.