You're a designer, and you're good at designing. But design skills are one thing, and selling these skills is another story entirely. An online portfolio site can market your services to clients around the world. It helps explain your vision and your process, and showcases examples of your best work. This class will teach you the steps to designing an expertly curated portfolio, including selecting a website hosting service, constructing a Wordpress website, customizing your website with various themes, plugins, and widgets, and optimizing your website for search engine results. By the end of the course, you will build a portfolio that best reveals who you are as a designer, as well as the value you can offer clients or your future employer.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Apply best practice guidelines for layout, navigation, content selection, basic HTML and CSS coding, and file structure to building a Wordpress portfolio site
- Select portfolio work samples that reflect the goals of the designer and the portfolio site
- Effectively categorize projects and apply navigation that allows for easy viewing of work samples
- Create visual comps and polished drafts that guide development of the portfolio site pages
- Apply basic techniques for polishing site content and planning for future site expansion
- Apply image optimization techniques, improve overall site performance, and optimize for search engine results
- Planning your online portfolio
- Selecting a website hosting service
- Installing Wordpress and themes
- Customizing Wordpress plugins and widgets
- Designing page layouts and content organization
- Integrating animated SVGs and HTML5 animation to your portfolio
- Setting up Podcast Generator and submitting podcast to iTune
- Setting up blog and social integration
- Adding search engine optimization
Working knowledge of:
- Communication and collaboration tools such as Google Workspace, Microsoft Office, or LibreOffice
- Learning Management Systems (LMS) such as Canvas including navigation links, modules, etc.
- Basic HTML and CSS knowledge
Please review section notes to view the full schedule.
Either PC or Mac computers are okay for this course.
Have a question about this course?
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
This course is related to the following programs:
Estimated Cost: TBD
Course Availability Notification
Please use this form to be notified when this course is open for enrollment.