Visit our COVID update page.
Clinical studies succeed or fail on the strength of their statistics. This course takes a practical approach to address the fundamental statistical concepts essential for non-statisticians involved in clinical research. Through lectures, discussions and in-class exercises, the instructor explores clinical study designs, hypothesis testing, sample size calculations, assumptions, controls, endpoints, data-management principles, data presentations and analysis plans, methods of analysis, and conclusions. You'll learn how to interpret the statistics commonly encountered in clinical research as well as how to communicate effectively with statisticians. The approach is practical, simple and qualitative. No previous background in statistics is required.
- To be successful in this class all students should have working knowledge of Google’s G Suite or Microsoft Office, proper email etiquette, and essential understanding of Canvas.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Identify quantitative methods for torturing data
- Recognize concepts such as variability, confidence intervals, hypothesis testing, and p-values
- Distinguish various study designs and identify techniques to avoid bias in current and new studies
- Knowledgeably review the medical literature
- Comfortably communicate with a professional biostatistician
- Estimation vs hypothesis testing
- Parametric vs nonparametric tests
- Clinical trial designs
Professional Credit: CA BRN/LVN Credit--Provider #CEP13114
Have a question about this course?
- Save Your Seat
Help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- Accessing Canvas
Learn more about gaining access to your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Accessibility and Accommodation
For accessibility questions or to request an accommodation, please visit Access for Students with Disabilities or email the Extension registrar.
Finance Your Education
Here are ways to pay for your education.
This course is related to the following programs:
Estimated Cost: $660
Course Availability Notification
Please use this form to be notified when this course is open for enrollment.