Fall Hours • COVID-19 Update
The Silicon Valley Campus is open 4–9:30 p.m. on Monday–Friday and 8 a.m.–5 p.m. on Saturday.
Bioinformatics Tools, Databases and Methods | BINF.X400
Bioinformatics plays a crucial role in the storage, search, and analysis of biomolecular sequence and structure data. A significant amount of data is now available on the web, along with software tools for data search and analysis. It is essential that professionals working with biological sequences or structures in public and private sectors are knowledgeable about these databases and tools.
This practical course introduces the main public domain tools, databases and methods used in bioinformatics, including DNA and protein databases such as Genbank and PBD, software tools such as BLAST, and methods for aligning sequences. Topics include multiple alignment, phylogenetic analysis, microarrays and system biology. The course emphasizes the needs of the user of bioinformatics tools and databases, rather than complex algorithm development and advanced computational methods.
The course includes computer lab exercises and online demonstrations of the various databases and tools on the web. It is intended both for life scientists and computer engineers and is the recommended first course for those wanting to gain skills in bioinformatics.
At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to
- Understand the need and importance of bioinformatics in industry and research
- Learn how to access and use bioinformatics tools and databases on the internet
- Learn how to evaluate DNA and protein sequences using bioinformatics tools from the internet
- Learn how to predict and understand protein structure using homology and comparative modeling
- Learn how bioinformatics is used in the fields of genomics and proteomics
- Save your seat and help us confirm course scheduling. Enroll at least seven days before your course starts.
- ACCESSING CANVAS—Learn more about accessing your course on Canvas in our FAQ section.
Sections Open for Enrollment:
|Date:||Start Time:||End Time:||Meeting Type:||Location:|
|Thu, 01-06-2022||12:01 a.m.||11:59 p.m.||Online Traditional||ONLINE|
|Sun, 03-06-2022||12:01 a.m.||11:59 p.m.||Online Traditional||ONLINE|